Advertisement

Home / West-bengal / Bengal announces Madhyamik, HS evaluation details

Bengal announces Madhyamik, HS evaluation details

Students not satisfied with marks can sit for exams later, clarifies education department
Board exams have been cancelled this year due to Covid-19 pandemic.

Our Bureau   |   Calcutta   |   Published 18.06.21, 06:00 PM

A day after the CBSE and CISCE boards announced their marking schemes for Class 12 examinations, the West Bengal Council of Secondary Education on Friday said it will evaluate the marks of examinees on the basis of the results of Classes 9 and 10 for Madhyamik students.

The results will be evaluated on a 50:50 basis, with importance being given to Class 9 marksheets and Class 10 internal examinations. Students unsatisfied with the result will be allowed to take a test after the pandemic situation gets better, the board announced.

Advertisement

In case of Class 12 board exams, the students will be assessed on the basis of their marks in Class 10 boards and Class 11 annual tests. In this case, a 40:60 formula will be adopted, with 40 per cent marks being taken from the best of four subjects during the Class 10 boards and the rest 60 per cent being taken from the theory papers of Class 11 annual tests.

The marks of a student, who has sat for the boards after the pandemic, will be considered ultimate and there would be no changes in that, the board said on Friday.

Madhyamik as well as the state higher secondary exams have been scrapped this year because of a surge in Covid-19 cases.

While announcing on June 7 that the secondary and the higher secondary exams would not be held this year because of Covid, chief minister Mamata Banerjee had asked the presidents of the two exam-conducting bodies to get details of the evaluations vetted by her.

“She had also instructed them to keep an eye on the CBSE’s decision regarding the evaluation methodology,” an official said.

A six-member committee had been constituted to suggest possible methods of assessment. “Factoring in the developments in court on Thursday, the recommendation of the experts and the exam-conducting bodies’ reports, an announcement will be made on Friday,” said an official.



Advertisement
Advertisement
Mobile Article Page Banner
Advertisement
 
 
 
Copyright © 2020 The Telegraph. All rights reserved.