Jadavpur University has asked the operators of canteens on the campus to clean their surroundings immediately “to prevent the breeding of mosquitoes”.
A notice was served on the operators of the four canteens on Wednesday.
The notice signed by JU’s deputy registrar said: “There is a possibility of stagnant water in the tea cups, plastic bottles, food packets etc. in the canteen premises. This is likely to become a breeding place for mosquitoes or any other insects which may
cause an outbreak of... vector-borne diseases (especially Dengue, Malaria) inside the campus.
“Report to the superintendent, Estate Section, after the completion of the said cleaning work by tomorrow (14-Sep) positively. You are also requested to continue this cleaning process on a regular basis.”
The notice was served two days after a 23-year-old student of the university died of dengue at Belle Vue Clinic after battling the disease for over a week.
The student’s death certificate stated “dengue hemorrhagic fever” and “dengue shock syndrome” as cause of death along with septic shock and multi-organ failure.
A Calcutta Municipal Corporation team on Tuesday spotted larvae of the dengue-causing Aedes aegypti mosquito at least in two places on the university campus.
The dengue virus is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which can lay eggs even in a spoonful of water. Adult mosquitoes emerge a week after eggs are laid if the water remains undisturbed.
A JU official said the civic team alerted the university about the hazard of water stagnation in the areas surrounding the canteens, creating easy breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
“We are taking every possible step so that the problem of water stagnation can be contained. As part of this, the canteens have been alerted. We will call the team from the civic body soon to visit the campus again to carry out their drive and suggest
what more can be done,” said JU registrar Snehamamju Basu.
The team from the corporation pointed out on Tuesday that a dilapidated building of the National Cadet Corps on the campus was filled with pools of water that had larvae of the dengue-causing Aedes aegypti mosquito.
Asked if that building had been cleaned with the same promptness, registrar Basu said: “It will be done very soon.”