Home / Jharkhand / 17 released from Dhanbad quarantine centre after protest

17 released from Dhanbad quarantine centre after protest

The agitators refused to eat anything till they were released
Patients receive treatment at a quarantine centre during the nationwide lockdown in Calcutta

Praduman Choubey   |   Dhanbad   |   Published 29.05.20, 07:36 PM

As many as 17 persons were released from the quarantine centre on the campus of Government Polytechnic Institute on Friday after they launched a fast-unto-death to protest the delay in discharging them even after the mandatory 14 days in isolation.

The protesters, who refused to eat anything till they were released, were allowed to leave the quarantine following the order of Dhanbad block development officer Uday Rajak.


Interacting with the media later, Ramjivan Sahay, one of the 17 agitators, said: “We boycotted breakfast and lunch today (Friday) because we were not being released despite the completion of 14 days in quarantine as our swab test reports were pending.”

Ramjivan said they were quarantined on May 15 and their samples were taken on May 19. He said the reports of some other inmates, whose samples were taken later, had already arrived.

“I was more worried about my release because my daughter’s marriage is scheduled to be held within a week. I have to make preparations for that,” Ramjivan added.

Ramjivan said they were being exposed to the virus by being compelled to stay at the facility where new people were arriving every day.

Arun Gope, magistrate and in-charge of the quarantine centre, conceded the delay in the reports and blamed it on a technical glitch.

“It is true that the reports of some inmates whose samples were collected on May 22 and 23, have already arrived. A technical glitch may have held up the reports of the 17 persons. We are, however, releasing all those who have completed 14 days in quarantine after an examination by a medical team,” Gope said.

Mobile Article Page Banner
Copyright © 2020 The Telegraph. All rights reserved.