Not made CM to protect Rs 40,000 crore central funds: Fadnavis
A BJP MP had alleged that Fadnavis was sworn in to the top post to protect central funds from being misused
- Published 2.12.19, 1:33 PM
- Updated 2.12.19, 1:33 PM
- a min read
Former Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis on Monday dismissed the charge that he was sworn in to the top post in a hush-hush ceremony last month despite lacking majority only to 'protect' Rs 40,000 crore central funds under the CM's control from being 'misused'.
Former Union minister and BJP MP Anant Hegde, known for making controversial statements, on Sunday sought to give a new twist to the last month's political drama in Maharashtra, claiming it was played out to ensure that the funds meant for development works were 'protected'.
Refuting the claim, Fadnavis said neither the Centre asked for any funds nor the Maharashtra government sent it any.
"It is absolutely wrong and I refute it completely," Fadnavis said.
"A company of the central government is implementing the bullet train project, where the Maharashtra government's role is restricted to land acquisition only. Neither the Centre asked for any funds nor the Maharashtra government sent it back," Fadnavis told reporters in Nagpur.
The Congress on Monday demanded an answer from Prime Minister Narendra Modi over Hegde's claim.
"A union minister has exposed the Modi government. BJP's anti-Maharashtra face has been exposed. Has the federal structure been crushed? Was the Rs 40,000 crore earmarked for the welfare of the public and farmers withdrawn through a conspiracy? Prime Minister Reply!" tweeted Congress' spokesperson Randeep Surjewala.
एक केंद्रीय मंत्री ने खोली मोदी सरकार की पोल,— Randeep Singh Surjewala (@rssurjewala) December 2, 2019
भाजपा का महाराष्ट्र विरोधी चेहरा बेनक़ाब हुआ
क्या संघीय ढाँचे को पाँव तले रोंद दिया गया,
क्या जनता व किसान की भलाई का ₹40,000 करोड़ एक षड्यंत्र से वापस ले लिया गया?
प्रधान मंत्री जबाब दें!https://t.co/OxvDzGtiXs