Advertisement

Home / India / J&K: Infiltration bid in Uri, Army search operation enters third day

Telephone, internet services suspended

J&K: Infiltration bid in Uri, Army search operation enters third day

Mobile telephones and internet services remain suspended

Published 21.09.21, 11:22 AM

A combing operation launched by the Army after it detected suspicious movement in Uri along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir entered the third day on Tuesday, officials said.

All telecommunication facilities including the internet in the border town remained suspended.

Advertisement

The Army said it had detected the suspicious movement along the LoC in Uri sector on the night intervening September 18 and 19 following which an operation was launched in the area. The date coincided with the fifth anniversary of the Uri attack in which 19 soldiers were killed after two suicide attackers stormed a military installation on September 18, 2016. The area where the suspicious movement was observed falls near Gohalan, the same place where the attack took place five years ago.

A defence spokesman here said the search operation was going on in the area but did not elaborate if the forces had found anything to lend credence to the reports of major infiltration bid in the sector.

Officials said one soldier had sustained injuries in the "initial contact" with the adversary near the fence along the LoC, which had prompted the massive search operation to ensure that the infiltrators, if any, do not get to the hinterland.

According to government sources in Delhi, a group of around six infiltrators managed to sneak in from Pakistan, NDTV.com reported.

The army said the operation to track down the infiltrators is underway and the exact situation on the ground is still unclear.

The army said this was the second such bid this year following a ceasefire agreement between the armies of India and Pakistan in February.

The army said since then, no ceasefire violation had been reported and there has been no instigation from Pakistan.

"No ceasefire violation this year. We are prepared for any ceasefire violation. But frankly, there has been no instigation from across the border," NDTV.com quoted Lt General DP Panday, General Officer Commanding of 15 Corps.

He said, unlike the past, there have been a few infiltration attempts this year and they are looking for the infiltrators in the Uri sector.

"There is an operation which is ongoing for last 24 hours in Uri, in which we felt that there is an infiltration attempt which has been made. We are looking for them. Are they on this side or have they gone back after making attempt, that issue is not been clarified or verified on the ground," said Gen Panday.

This is for the first time when phone services and the internet was suspended in the wake of a cross-border infiltration attempt.



Advertisement
Advertisement
Mobile Article Page Banner
Advertisement
 
 
 
Copyright © 2020 The Telegraph. All rights reserved.