Recipes: Mother's Day specials
Indulge your mother's sweet tooth with these easy-to-make desserts
- Published 9.05.20, 7:34 PM
- Updated 9.05.20, 7:34 PM
- 2 mins read
Recipe by chef Rajesh Wadhwa, Taj Palace, New Delhi
- Ladyfinger biscuits -- 10
- 1 cup softened mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- ½ cup espresso
- Coffee liqueur (as desired)
- Cocoa powder (as desired)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla bean extract until soft peaks.
- Fold in the mascarpone and continue to whip. Set aside.
- Mix the liqueur with the espresso. Dip the lady finger biscuits in the coffee liquid and create a layer in a glass bowl.
- Spread a layer of the whipped cream and mascarpone mix. Repeat the process and create a second layer.
- Dust with cocoa powder and refrigerate for 2 hours until set.
Recipe by- Md Shahid Hossain- Executive Chef, Taj Krishna, Hyderabad
- Yellow lentil (Chana Dal) 150 gm
- Jaggery 125 gm
- Cardamom Powder 5gms
- Butter 100gm
- Icing Sugar 50Gm
- Refined Flour 150gm
- Milk 25ml
- Ghee 50 gms
- Fresh Cream 100ml
Making lentil mixture
- Wash & boil the lentil till soft and drain the excess water.
- Melt the jaggery with little water over slow flame, add cardamom powder, mashed lentil and cook for a little while.
- Let the mixture cool down and then add the cream and mix well.
Making short crust base:
- Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy, add flour, milk and make dough without much kneading.
- Chill the dough in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough over the flan mould and trim the excess and fill the mixture.
- Baking: Bake it at 180 degree Celsius for 20 minutes till golden brown on top.
- Serving: Serve warm with vanilla ice cream
Soft Centre Cookies
- Butter -- 130 gm
- Sugar -- 200 gm
- Eggs -- 2 no.
- Melted chocolate -- 160 gm
- Refined flour -- 240gm
- Baking Powder -- 1 tsp
- Cocoa Powder -- 40 gm
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add in eggs one at a time. Pour in melted chocolate.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix together.
- Rest the dough in the chiller for half an hour.
- Divide the dough into 40 gm balls.
- Fill each cookie with 5 gm chocolate disc in center.
- Bake at 190 for 9-10 min.
For the chocolate disc:
- Melt chocolate and spread a one cm. thick layer on parchment/butter paper.
- After it sets, cut small discs which can be placed inside each cookie.
- To make the cookie, flatten the cookie dough slightly, place the chocolate disc in the center and wrap it inside the dough.
- Place on a parchment sheet and bake.
- In case the chocolate has set the next day, microwave the cookie for 10 seconds for a liquid center again.
Recipe by- Mohit Mishra, Executive Chef- Vivanta Hyderabad, Begumpet
- Rice- 100 grams
- Yellow moong dal (split)- 50 grams
- Jaggery -100 grams
- Milk -100 ml
- Water -100 ml
- Dry coconut - 10 grams
- Cardamom powder (elaichi) - 2 grams
- Ghee -10ml
- Mixed dry fruits - 50 grams
- To begin making Chakkra Pongali, fry the rice and moong dal together in hot ghee until they become aromatic and turn slightly brownish.
- Add them in a pressure cooker, add the milk, water and cook till done
- Meanwhile heat a kadai with a bit of ghee, and fry the dry fruits till done and keep aside.
- Also fry the dry coconut in ghee in the same kadai for 4-5 minutes until it changes colour.
- Once the rice mix cools down, keep it on stove top on medium heat and add the sugar and cardamom powder. Keep stirring it continuously.
- You can even add edible camphor for additional flavor.
- The sugar should melt and the porridge should start thickening in approx 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Once the Pongali has thickened, switch off the stove and add the dry fruits and toasted coconut.