Advertisement

Home / Business / Twitter deal on hold temporarily, tweets Elon Musk

Twitter deal on hold temporarily, tweets Elon Musk

Social media company estimates spam, fake accounts comprise less than 5% of users
Elon Musk
Elon Musk
File Picture

Reuters   |   Published 13.05.22, 03:26 PM

Elon Musk said on Friday his $44-billion deal for Twitter Inc was temporarily on hold, citing pending details on spam and fake accounts.

“Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users,” Musk said in a tweet.

Advertisement

Shares of the social media company fell 20% in premarket trading. Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company had earlier this month estimated that false or spam accounts represented fewer than 5% of its monetizable daily active users during the first quarter.

It also said it faced several risks until the deal with Musk is closed, including whether advertisers would continue to spend on Twitter.

Musk, the world's richest man and the chief executive of Tesla Inc, had said that one of his priorities would be to remove “spam bots” from the platform.

The social media company, said the Reuters report, had 229 million users who were served advertising in the first quarter. 

In the filing, Twitter said that it faced several risks until the deal with Musk was closed, such as whether advertisers would continue to spend on Twitter and "potential uncertainty regarding our future plans and strategy."

(This is a breaking story. More to follow. Please refresh the page.)



Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
 
 
 
Copyright © 2020 The Telegraph. All rights reserved.