regular-article-logo Monday, 04 December 2023

Premier League: Manchester City stays perfect with 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest

Referee Anthony Taylor doles out 11 yellow cards along with Rodri’s red, with seven of the yellows coming in a bad-tempered second half as Forest tried to leverage their extra man, but to no avail

Reuters Manchester Published 24.09.23, 06:49 AM
Erling Haaland.

Erling Haaland. File photo

Manchester City maintained their perfect start to the Premier League season with a 2-0 home win over Nottingham Forest on Saturday, making it six wins out of six despite losing midfielder Rodri to a red card early in the second half.

In all, referee Anthony Taylor doled out 11 yellow cards along with Rodri’s red, with seven of the yellows coming in a bad-tempered second half as Forest tried to leverage their extra man, but to no avail.


Phil Foden rifled the opening goal for City in the seventh minute and striker Erling Haaland was left unmarked to head home the second from a Matheus Nunes cross seven minutes later, as City dominated possession for the opening 45 minutes.

Memories of last season’s 0-6 drubbing must have been in the minds of Forest players as they headed in at the break, but the tables were turned soon after as the second half got underway as Rodri was shown a straight red card.

The Spanish midfielder got embroiled in an angry confrontation with Morgan Gibbs-White, and he thrust both hands at the throat of the Forest forward before being sent off.

That prompted a slew of personnel changes with City winger Jeremy Doku quickly replaced by Kalvin Phillips and Forest bringing on Anthony Elanga and Callum Hudson-Odoi, which in turn led to Pep Guardiola sending on defender Nathan Ake for Julian Alvarez in a tit-for-tat substitution.

Forest debutant Nicolas Dominguez flashed a shot wide of the right-hand post in the 63rd minute and Elanga had an effort from a tight angle comfortably saved by Ederson as the visitors pressed forward, but struggled to create clear-cut shots on goal.

Haaland missed a great opportunity to net his second when he failed to get his effort on target form Ake’s cross, but City were able to hold on for a win that keeps them top of the standings with a perfect 18 points from six games.

Luton’s first point

Bottom side Luton Town claimed their first Premier League point on Saturday when they held 10-man Wolverhampton Wanderers to a nervy 1-1 draw at a rocking Kenilworth Road.

Luton started the game on the front foot while Wolves struggled to get going, with their frustrations spilling over when Jean-Ricner Bellegarde was sent off for kicking out at Tom Lockyer when they became entangled during a challenge.

Despite going down to 10 men, the Wolves shocked the home side when they took the lead after the break through Pedro Neto, who outmuscled his marker and fired his shot past Thomas Kaminski in Luton’s goal.

But Luton were handed a lifeline when Joao Gomes handled the ball in the box and after a VAR review, Carlton Morris stepped up and sent Jose Sa the wrong way to make it 1-1.

Wolves are up to 15th while Luton remain bottom with a game in hand.

Follow us on: