Spotify reveals top songs, artists, albums in India
Music & podcasts trends
- BTS is the only international act to feature in the top five artistes on Spotify in India in 2020, which clearly indicates the increasing popularity of K-pop in the country.
- This year’s most popular editorial playlist in India is Top Hits Hindi that kept India grooving to the latest local chartbusters with 341K followers.
- 2020 was podcasts’ year to shine. And the most-streamed podcasts on Spotify in India this year are ‘TED Talks Daily’, ‘The Ranveer Show’, and ‘On Purpose with Jay Shetty’. Spotify India original ‘Maha Bharat with Dhruv Rathee’ also made it to the top, along with ‘7 Good Minutes Daily Self-Improvement Podcast with Clyde Lee Dennis’.
- Podcast genres that Indians were most drawn to on Spotify in India were education, followed by lifestyle and health, society and culture, arts and entertainment, and business and technology.
Top 10 artistes in West Bengal
In Bengal, four of the top 10 artistes are women. The list unfolds like this — Arijit Singh, Tanishk Bagchi, Neha Kakkar, BTS, Pritam, Badshah, Shreya Ghoshal, Jubin Nautiyal, Asees Kaur and Tulsi Kumar.
Top 10 tracks in West Bengal
2. Ghungroo (from War)
3. Tujhe kitna chahne lage (from Kabir Singh)
4. Illegal weapon 2.0
5. Garmi (from Street Dancer 3D) (featuring Varun Dhawan)
7. Tu hi yaar mera (from Pati Patni Aur Woh)
Top artistes India
1. Arijit Singh
2. Tanishk Bagchi
3. Neha Kakkar
Top streamed albums India
1. Kabir Singh
2. Love Aaj Kal
3. Map of the Soul: 7
4. Arijit Singh Broken Strings
Top 10 podcasts in West Bengal
1. Bhaskar Bose
2. The Ranveer Show
3. Maha Bharat with Dhruv Rathee
4. TED Talks Daily
5. From the Wizarding World: Journeys to Hogwarts and Harry Potter At Home: Readings
6. On Purpose with Jay Shetty
7. Gita for the Young and Restless
8. Read Me a Poem
9. The Michelle Obama Podcast
10. 7 Good Minutes Daily Self-Improvement Podcast with Clyde Lee Dennis
- There was an uptick in people streaming from home (by way of the playlists they created), as well as the amount of people streaming from gaming consoles.
- Fifty per cent (approx) increase in DIY stylists creating at-home haircut playlists.
- Garden-themed playlists bloomed on the platform; creation grew more than 430 per cent.
- Nearly 40 per cent increase in cleaning-themed playlist creation.
Top female artistes India
1. Neha Kakkar
2. Shreya Ghoshal
3. Asees Kaur
4. Tulsi Kumar
5. Dhvani Bhanushali
Top streamed songs India
4. Tujhe kitna chahne lage
Most streamed artistes globally
Puerto Rican rapper Bad Bunny claims the top spot with more than 8.3 billion streams this year from fans around the globe. His album YHLQMDLG — released in late February and featuring collaborations with Sech, Anuel AA, and Daddy Yankee — is the number one streamed album as well. Following Bad Bunny is Drake and Latin star J Balvin. The fourth most-streamed artist is the late rapper Juice WRLD, followed by The Weeknd.
Billie Eilish continues her reign as Spotify’s most-streamed female artiste for the second year in a row, followed by Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande in spots two and three. Coming in as the fourth and fifth most-streamed female artistes are Dua Lipa and Halsey.