Home / West-bengal / 3 teens die in New Town car crash

3 teens die in New Town car crash

Finger at rash driving
The mangled Honda City after the accident in New Town, near Eco Park, early on Tuesday

A Staff Reporter   |   Calcutta   |   Published 12.11.19, 09:02 PM


The survivors were taken to Charnock Hospital in Chinar Park. One of them was later shifted to Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals. The boy’s father said his son had fractured his spine and was undergoing surgery.

The police said after a preliminary investigation that the car was speeding towards the airport from New Town along Major Arterial Road. In front of Westin Hotel, near Eco Park, it took a U-turn and started speeding back towards Salt Lake.

“Seconds after taking the U-turn, the 18-year-old boy at the wheel lost control of the car. The vehicle veered left and hit the median divider separating the road from the service lane and rammed into a pillar of the Airport-Garia Metro link. The car darted across the service lane on its left wheels — the other two were in the air — and smashed into the pavement,” the officer said.

The tyre marks on the road stretched at least 15 feet, suggesting the driver had braked in a last-ditch attempt to avoid hitting the divider.

The survivors have apparently told the police that they had partied at the house of one of the teenagers in Salt Lake till late on Thursday.

“The car belongs to the father of one of the boys. The survivors told me that they went for a spin after the party,” the officer said.

Family members of the boys, however, said they had left home to play cricket.

The control room of the Bidhannagar commissionerate received an alert around 5.15am. A team was sent to the spot but the members failed to extricate the passengers from inside the mangled car.

Some cops went to a construction site and asked workers to accompany them to the accident spot with a gas-cutter. “We had to slice open the doors and bring out the boys. The inside of the car was reeking of alcohol,” said the officer.

Three teenagers died after the Honda City in which they were travelling with two others hit a median divider, rammed into a pillar of the Airport-Garia Metro corridor and crashed into a pavement in New Town early on Tuesday, police said.

The three who died are Phoolbagan resident Mayank Jhawar, a first-year BCom student at St Xavier’s College, his cousin Kaushal, also from Phoolbagan, and Nisidh Jaiswal from Beadon Street.

“All three were on the rear seat of the Honda City,” an officer of the Bidhannagar commissionerate said.

The teenager at the wheel and the boy beside him, both residents of Salt Lake, had their seat belts on. A forensic officer said the front airbags had deployed and possibly that’s why the two survived.

“We had to use a gas-cutter to open the car’s doors and bring out the passengers. The three were taken to Bidhannagar Sub-divisional Hospital, where they were declared dead,” the officer said.

Mayank had scored 95 per cent in his Class XII exams and was to be felicitated at a ceremony a few days later, said Gopal Mundhra, a relative. Kaushal was a student of Class XI at Shree Jain Vidyalaya and Nisidh of Class IX at Nopany High School.

“All three had lost a lot of blood. They were unconscious when they were wheeled in. We failed to revive them,” said a doctor at Bidhannagar Sub-divisional Hospital.

Copyright © 2020 The Telegraph. All rights reserved.