Monday, 30th October 2017

E- paper

Plea to apply for disability ID cards

Meghalaya commissioner for persons with disabilities C. Kharkongor has urged them to apply for the Unique Disability ID, which is recognised all over the country.

By Banbitlang Marbaniang
  • Published 19.08.18

Shillong: Meghalaya commissioner for persons with disabilities C. Kharkongor has urged them to apply for the Unique Disability ID, which is recognised all over the country.

"We have provided new certificates along with the ID. I urge you to go to the district hospitals and apply for it," Kharkongor said at an awareness programme on Workshop on Disabled Persons and on Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, here on Saturday.

The programme was organised by Khasi Disabilities Association under the Chief Minister's Youth Development Scheme in association with the office of East Khasi Hills deputy commissioner.

Kharkongor said the IDs are being issued in Shillong, Nongstoin, Tura, Jowai and Ri Bhoi, and around 500 have been issued so far.

On the measures available to persons with disabilities during a disaster, she said, "I urge the association to collect the names and addresses of persons with disabilities from every district and submit them to the district disaster authorities so they can facilitate quick rescue and provide aid during any calamity."

On accessibility to polling stations, she asked for identification of non-accessible booths so the matter can be taken up with the chief electoral officer. She also called for collection of names of those who have attained the age of 18 so that they can be included in the voter rolls and issued voter cards.

There are more than 44,000 persons with disabilities in the state.

On the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, the commissioner said it recognises 21 types of disabilities, unlike the previous one which recognised only seven. She said Section 6 of the act protects them from those trying to take advantage of them during research work.

"If others try to force a person with disability to be part of research, the victim can lodge a complaint."

She said the Meghalaya government has set up a committee of research under the chairmanship of director of health services. "If people want to carry out research on persons with disabilities, they have to apply for permission from the director of health services. A meeting will also be called to discuss the matter," she said.

She said school managements have no right to deny admission to children with disabilities as the act calls for inclusive schooling. "We also encourage special educators and we have followed up on this issue," she said.

Stressing on the appointment of grievance redressal officers, the commissioner said she had written to various departments and most have now appointed such officers to address problems faced by such workers. She said she met the health minister recently on difficulties faced by persons with disabilities where they would not be able to respond when their names were called out in hospitals.

"We came up with a suggestion where lights would be displayed to help the hearing impaired patients," said Kharkongor. She also urged persons with disabilities to apply for disability certificates as it would help them avail of government benefits.

Kharkongor said seven certificates have been issued to autistic persons. She also dwelt on the various rights in relation to education, employment, reservation and welfare schemes, among others.

Association president Starwin Kharjana and advocate Decided Rynghang also spoke.