The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) claimed it has officially written to the ICC to decide the fate of the cancelled fifth and final India-England Test at Old Trafford in Manchester.
The series-deciding Test was called off after a Covid-19 outbreak in the Indian camp forced its senior players to express their apprehensions on going ahead with the game.
“Yes, we have written to the ICC,” an ECB representative said when asked if they want the global body to decide on the fifth Test. India led the series 2-1 heading into the Test.
The ICC, though, is yet to receive any communication from the England board. “We haven’t received anything as yet. If they (ECB) do contest, then yes, it will go to our Dispute Resolution Committee,” said an ICC spokesperson on Sunday.
ECB CEO, Tom Harrison, had said earlier that the one-off Test the BCCI and the England board are working on would be a standalone Test. But as per the current scenario, it’s yet to be finalised if the one-off Test would be a standalone one or part of this series.
The ECB wants the ICC’s Dispute Resolution Committee to address the issue as it still expects forfeiture would be granted and it can then claim insurance.