Advertisement

Home / Sports / Football / Bruno Fernandes renews Manchester United contract

Bruno Fernandes renews Manchester United contract

The 27-year-old has scored 49 goals and made 39 assists in 117 appearances in all competitions for United, though his form has dipped this season
Bruno Fernandes
Bruno Fernandes
File Photo

Reuters   |   Published 02.04.22, 12:27 AM

Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes has signed a new contract until June 2026 with an option to extend for a further year, the club announced on Friday. The Portugal international joined United from Sporting in January 2020 and the playmaker has since become a key player at the club, winning their player of the year award twice.

The 27-year-old has scored 49 goals and made 39 assists in 117 appearances in all competitions for United, though his form has dipped this season.

“Even after two years, it still feels amazing to step out at Old Trafford, to hear the fans sing my song and to score in front of the Stretford End,” Fernandes said.

“There is so much more that I want to achieve here, and I know that is the same for the rest of the squad and staff. More than anything, we want to give the fans the success that they deserve.

“We have shared some great moments over the last years, but the best is yet to come from myself and this team.”

Fernandes also helped Portugal seal a spot in this year’s World Cup after scoring a brace in their victory against North Macedonia in the European playoff final this week.

“I think that’s very good news for the club, for the fans, the supporters also for Bruno to know he will be here for the next five years I suppose,” United manager Ralf Rangnick told reporters.

“There’s no doubt he’s a very important player for this club and this team... I already congratulated him yesterday (Thursday) after his return from the World Cup qualifiers. He played very well and scored the most important goals to qualify.”

Escaped unhurt

West Ham midfielder Manuel Lanzini was uninjured after the car he was travelling in to the club’s training ground crashed and hit a tree. Lanzini, who had been on international duty with Argentina, did not require hospital treatment following the accident in east London on Thursday. “Police were called on Thursday to reports of a collision on the A12 in Romford,” Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

West Ham manager David Moyes later confirmed that the 29-year-old had escaped unhurt and was feeling fine.



Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
 
 
 
Copyright © 2020 The Telegraph. All rights reserved.