Calcutta, May 4 :
Manoj Prabhakar, in Lucknow on a business trip, is expected to head straight for the Central Bureau of Investigation's (CBI's) Lodhi Colony hub on returning to New Delhi.
Unless there is a change in Prabhakar's plans, that should be tomorrow morning.
That visit, prompted by former Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Inderjit Singh Bindra's allegation on CNN's Q&A that Kapil Dev offered the sensational Rs 25 lakh inducement to Prabhakar (September 1994), may give the CBI something really big to work on.
Or, the CBI could reach dead-end No. 1 within days of launching a probe into allegations of match-fixing by Indian cricketers.
Bindra has forced Prabhakar's hand while, simultaneously, numbing Indian cricket like never before. Prabhakar must either confirm or deny Bindra's claim.
The question is: Did Prabhakar authorise Bindra to say anything at all on his behalf?
At the moment, Prabhakar is himself merely saying: 'I won't comment... I'll speak to the CBI, for me that comes first.'
From targeting International Cricket Council (ICC) president Jagmohan Dalmiya, Bindra has now trained guns on Dalmiya's hand-picked India coach.
Though Dalmiya is no longer a BCCI office-bearer, he remains influential. Bindra has quickly emerged top dissident.
According to UNI, Bindra told CNN last night: 'The person who offered Rs 25 lakh to Prabhakar, to play below potential, is an icon in the cricketing world. He is the Michael Jordan of India. His name is Kapil Dev.'
If Bindra is to be believed -- some of his statements in recent weeks, after all, have been bizarre -- Prabhakar 'identified' Kapil during a one-to-one in Chandigarh last week.
Prabhakar first went public with the allegation (leaving the person unnamed) in June 1997, via a signed article in a weekly. The offer was made before the India vs Pakistan Singer Cup match. As it turned out, the game couldn't even be played on the reserve day in that rain-hit tournament, Kapil's last overseas.
After initially responding with 'I am a bit confused... Should I comment on Bindra's statement or Prabhakar's allegation? I don't even know whether what Bindra is claiming has actually been said by Prabhakar,' Kapil gave a firm reaction in the evening.
'It has been brought to my notice that certain wild and baseless allegations have been made in an interview aired on CNN. I have discussed these with my lawyers who are taking appropriate action against those responsible for uttering reckless allegations.'
A weary Kapil told The
Telegraph: 'You're wanting my reaction, as an individual? Well, what do you expect somebody who put in almost two decades of sweat and tears, at the highest level, to say?'
But, was his conscience clear?
Kapil sounded hurt, but didn't duck. He emotionally answered: 'If my conscience isn't clear, then whose is? The conscience of those making allegations? Today, I don't have to go out and convince people my conscience is clear.'
Bindra's allegation came within hours of the ICC specifically listing 14 forms of unacceptable behaviour. Offering an inducement or, being tempted, figure high on that shortlist.
The penalty for both, applicable to current players/ coaches/officials, is a life ban. The starting-point is July 1, 1993.
Prabhakar, who hasn't been discreet in his ways, is understood to have 'bared all' to more than one person. And, sources insist, one of them is a high-ranking Union minister.
Of course, it's not clear whose name Prabhakar took but, when he met the minister, an MP was within earshot as well.