Over 80 former MPs are yet to vacate their official bungalows in Lutyens Delhi despite a stern warning by a Lok Sabha panel, sources said.
They said the government is contemplating action against these former MPs under the Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Act for their speedy eviction.
On August 19, the Lok Sabha housing committee headed by C.R. Patil had ordered around 200 former MPs who did not vacate their bungalows to give up the facility within a week and disconnect their power, water and cooking gas connections within three days.
“Since the committee’s order, most of the ex-MPs have vacated their official bungalows. But 82 former MPs are yet to vacate their bungalows,” a source told PTI.
Sources in the Lok Sabha housing committee said this was not acceptable and strict action would be taken.
Notices are being sent to the former MPs asking them to vacate their bungalows, which had been allotted to them in 2014, another source said.
“If they do not give up official bungalows, action may be taken against them under the Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Act. Once the eviction order is passed, power, water and cooking gas connections will be snapped,” the source added.
According to rules, former MPs have to vacate their respective bungalows within one month of dissolution of the previous Lok Sabha.
On May 25, President Ram Nath Kovind had dissolved the 16th Lok Sabha with immediate effect.
A few newly elected MPs, who won in the Lok Sabha election earlier this year, have been staying at temporary accommodation because some of the former MPs have not vacated official bungalows.