The vaccination programme at IIEST Shibpur, which had been suspended after the institute’s director allegedly misbehaved with those running the centre over harassing his home help, will be resumed, the institute has said.
The notification issued by Debabrata Mazumder, the professor-in-charge of the institute’s hospital says: “….in view of several complaints received from the employees regarding vaccination in the campus, the said program has been suspended for a few days.... Vaccination program will be resumed as per that schedule depending on the availability of vaccine.”
The Telegraph reported on Saturday that the institute’s director, Parthasarathi Chakrabarti, allegedly misbehaved with those running the facility because they had asked his help to produce the Aadhaar card, get registered and wait for the jab during the vaccination exercise on May 28.
Asked about the complaints mentioned in the notice, an official of the institute said they received complaints that many persons were not getting the jabs despite registering.
The director on Friday denied the allegation, contending that the streamlining was required because of the overcrowding at the centre which, he said, was triggering chaos.
But sources on the campus said the efforts to restart the vaccination centre were initiated hours after The Telegraph sought to know from director Chakrabarti whether his alleged misbehaviour was responsible for the closure of the vaccination drive .
Director Chakrabarti said on Saturday they want to restart the vaccination centre as early as possible.