![]() |
Materazzi in Zurich on Friday. (AFP) |
Zurich: Marco Materazzi appeared before Fifa’s disciplinary committee on Friday to answer questions about what he did to provoke Zinedine Zidane to head-butt him during Italy’s World Cup final victory over France.
The Italian is being investigated based on statements by Zidane, who was sent off for ramming his head into the defender’s chest during extra-time of Sunday’s final in Berlin.
Zidane said on French television on Wednesday night that Materazzi had insulted his mother and sister. Materazzi has admitted insulting Zidane, but denied verbally attacking Zidane’s mother.
Materazzi met with officials at Fifa’s headquarters here on Friday morning, Fifa spokesman Nicolas Maingot said, refusing to provide any details of the meeting.
Fifa also made no comment on what sanction, if any, Materazzi might face. An announcement of the committee’s findings will be made next Thursday.
Fifa had begun proceedings against Materazzi on Thursday, saying that both he and Zidane had been summoned to appear before the disciplinary committee next Thursday.
They had said Zidane would be given the right to be heard by means of a written statement, which had to be submitted by July 18. Materazzi would then be sent a copy of the statement to allow him to respond.
However, Fifa hastily convened a hearing on Friday, so that Materazzi, who left near midday without speaking to a large crowd of journalists and photographers, did not have to interrupt a holiday next week.
Materazzi’s agent Claudio Vigorelli said Fifa should only consider Zidane’s reaction.
“His reaction was absolutely out of order, especially in a big game like the final, because it was his last game as a football player,” Materazzi told the BBC.
Vigorelli said any punishment toward Materazzi could create a difficult precedent, citing the case of Italy forward Francesco Totti, who was banned for three games for spitting at Denmark’s Christian Poulsen during the 2004 European Championship.
“Totti was banned for four games, which was reduced to three, and nothing happened to Poulsen ? this is absolutely a similar case,” Vigorelli said.
“If they want to attack a player for what he keeps saying on the pitch, they will be very busy in the future because it’s quite normal that players shout at each other in a game ? especially when it’s such a stressful game.”
Zidane is scheduled to attend a Fifa hearing next Thursday. A decision is expected later that day.
Fifa has declined to comment on possible punishments for either individuals or teams.
Zidane has retired, but could be stripped of his Golden Ball award for best player of the World Cup. Materazzi, however, could face a ban and fine.
Italy won Sunday’s final 5-3 on penalties after the teams were 1-1 after extra-time. Zidane ? France’s regular penalty taker ? was sent off with 10 minutes of extra-time remaining.
Meanwhile in Buenos Aires, Argentina referee Horacio Elizondo said Thursday he had no hesitation about red expelling French midfielder Zinedine Zidane from the World Cup final for driving his head into the chest of Italian defender Marco Materazzi.
Elizondo, speaking to local reporters after his return from Germany, said he didn't know what words might have been exchanged between Materazzi and Zidane prior to the incident.
“I didn’t hear anything,” the referee said. “But if they did say anything, surely that could be detected on video. Nonetheless that's no justification for the reaction by the player (Zidane).”