MY KOLKATA EDUGRAPH
ADVERTISEMENT
Regular-article-logo Saturday, 30 August 2025

Rajkhowa refuses to lodge men in camps

Read more below

RIPUNJOY DAS Published 21.03.11, 12:00 AM
Arabinda Rajkhowa

Dibrugarh, March 20: The Arabinda Rajkhowa-led faction of Ulfa has decided that its cadres will not stay in designated camps like those of other outfits engaged in peace dialogues with the government.

The decision was taken at a meeting of the second executive council that concluded at Joraguri satra, Amguri, in Sivasagar district last evening.

Significantly, despite having been expelled from the outfit on an order from Rajkhowa, Mrinal Hazarika — a leader of the 28th battalion who along with some others came overground in 2008 — attended the meeting.

Ulfa vice-chairman Pradip Gogoi said the decision was taken as the members of the central executive committee felt that staying in designated camps would further alienate the Ulfa cadres from society.

“We do not want our cadres to be seen as different from the rest of society. They are from this land and, therefore, we felt that it would be better if a provision can be made for our cadres to remain with their families and in their community,” Gogoi said over phone.

Ulfa cadres who had come overground to participate in the peace process, have since been staying at the residences of some pro-peace talks leaders or in some particular villages in groups.

On the other hand, around 170 cadres from the outfit’s Alpha and Charlie companies of the 28 battalion, who had come overground in June, 2008, are staying at three designated camps at Kakopathar, Moran and Nalbari.

“In the past, too, many had come out of Ulfa citing their own problems. On several occasions it was seen that they subsequently tarnished their images among the masses as they got involved in criminal activities and illegal business. We, therefore, do not want any such sort of repetition,” Gogoi said.

The Ulfa vice-chairman also said that henceforth Ulfa cadres would be staying in their respective areas with the public and work for the organisation.

“We cannot become complacent after just one round of talks with the Centre. We will have to work hard at the grassroots and this will be possible only if our boys stay with the people and not in camps,” Gogoi said.

On why Mrinal Hazarika was allowed to attend the meeting as he was not a member of the central executive council, Gogoi said the panel had accommodated him as a special invitee to the meeting.

“Overall, we need to understand that all of us have the same idea, which is to find a permanent solution to the conflict. They have applied to revoke their expulsion and the central executive council will take a decision on this very soon,” Gogoi said.

It was Rajkhowa — then in Bangladesh — under whose leadership the decision for expulsion of the four pro-talks Ulfa leaders, including Mrinal Hazarika, Jiten Dutta, Prabal Neog and Joon Bhuyan were taken after they came overground saying they wanted to work towards finding an amicable settlement.

Gogoi also clarified that the outfit would stay away from the elections and the message had been transmitted through proper channels to all its cadres.

Follow us on:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT