The National Investigation Agency has released on its website the pictures of 10 alleged Khalistan supporters wanted in connection with the March 2023 vandalism at the Indian consulate in San Francisco, and sought information about them from the “general public”.
An NIA source said that “general public” meant the public anywhere in the world, including India and the US, and that this was the third such appeal — officially termed “Request for Identification and Information” notices — since June.
The source said the earlier appeals and the agency’s own investigations had so far not yielded much.
The agency has promised not to reveal the identity of anyone sharing information that can lead to the arrest or detention of the accused.
“The attack on the Indian consulate in San Francisco had taken place on the intervening night of March 18 when some pro-Khalistani entities trespassed into the consulate and tried to burn it down,” an NIA statement on Thursday said.
Photographs of some of the wanted accused released by the NIA. PTI photo
“Some slogan-shouting Khalistani supporters had broken through the makeshift security barriers raised by the city police and put up two so-called Khalistani flags in (sic) the consulate premises, damaged the consulate building, assaulted and caused injuries to the consulate officials.”
In June, the agency had registered a case to probe the attack, invoking various provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act.
An NIA team visited San Francisco last month to gather evidence and held meetings with local authorities.