Tips and tricks to ace your wedding footwear
Shoes can make or break a look, more so when it comes to a wedding. Shilpa Agarwalla and Aparna Yadav, partners at footwear brand Shilpsutra, gives some tips and tricks to ace your wedding without your shoes biting into the flesh, a total killjoy.
What are the wedding must-haves?
We must wear comfortable footwear to save ourselves from the agony of standing for hours. Flat shoes, such as juttis and platform heels, are definitely a good choice. Last but not the least, keep a smile on your face, that will make your D-Day one of the most memorable ones for you and your partner.
Should the seasons play a role in your choice of shoes?
No matter what the season is, we would always choose flats over heels. We definitely would wear heels for any special occasion, but even then, we would prefer something that has a flat surface, such as platform heels/wedges.
What would you pick for the other functions?
As we know, the highlights in a wedding take place during the other functions, when everyone joins together and enjoys and celebrates the day along with the couple. The day is filled with various things that are happening around you, from dancing to participating in activities and rituals that are being planned, so you would always want to choose something that is both hassle-free and light to ensure personal comfort and feel light throughout the day.
Thus, when it comes to selecting an outfit for the pre-wedding functions, we suggest one should choose simple yet comfortable clothes. For instance, during the Haldi ceremony, we could wear yellow or pink, or even a white Anarkali with a heavily embroidered dupatta and do not forget to pair it along with Punjabi embroidered juttis, that would perfectly fit the occasion and complete the look. Similarly, for the Mehndi ceremony, we recommend wearing a lightweight organza sari with a hand-painted blouse, for instance, a light emerald green sari with embroidered heels, such as kitten heels would look perfect. For a sangeet night, we suggest a heavy embroidered crop top, paired with a simple lehnga/skirt, paired with any shoes that you find comfortable, since this will be an evening of dancing.
What are the do and don’t when it comes to wedding footwear?
- Every individual expresses their personality through their chic and attractive shoes, and that is why we swear by one thing: ‘Comfort is really important’. We cannot stress enough that one’s shoes should always feel comfortable from the first wear.
- Make sure you select the right size and double-check your shoe size before purchasing.
- Avoid impulse buying when it comes to choosing the perfect footwear.
- We would like to offer a tip to all brides-to-be, before you wear your new shoes on your big day, let your feet get used to the comfort of the pair.
- You should also keep a pair of flats with you if you choose heels for your big day.
- After buying a good pair of footwear, always remove the price tags.
- Have an afterthought when it comes to your D-Day shoes. Always give the footwear the same level of importance that you would give to selecting the perfect wedding outfit.
- Think they will be just for one day. Remember that your wedding shoes will also be re-used afterwards, so choose a style that will match other outfits and have a similar look.
- Be afraid of colours. If you add some colour to your footwear, you’ll look incredible.
- Go for high heels and pointed-toe shoes that put extra strain on the legs, hips and back.
What are your top tips for the experimental bride?
For all those brides-to-be interested in an experimental approach, we would recommend one tip, that is, picking an unorthodox colour scheme and mixing the whole look with an heirloom piece from the family. Add a dash of new style and making the entire look uber chic by going minimalist.