HR MATTERS 13-05-2008

Read more below

By SANJAY ROY CHOWDHURY Managing Director, Gray Matters Consulting Pvt Ltd
  • Published 13.05.08

Q: I completed MBA in international business in 2006. I had earlier worked for two years in sales and marketing in the telecom and automobile sectors. After completing MBA, I worked for a year in sales and marketing in the insurance sector. At present, I am working with Birla Sunlife Insurance Co. Ltd as an agency manager. Now I want a change in my job profile from marketing to HR / operation. Will I be able to get jobs in the banking or telecom sector?

Sanskriti Sinha, Patna

A: Why do you want to change your sphere of work? If you do so you would lose the experience you have gained in sales and marketing. If you have decided to make the shift, I would advise you to first try for a recruitment role in the insurance sector since you have experience in that sector and your acceptability would be higher. After you have gained some experience in recruitment, you can look for jobs in the banking or the telecom sector.

Q:I am 23 years old and work in a call centre. I am a graduate and want to do a masters in computer application (MCA) from DOAEEC. I have heard that the B level course of DOAEEC is equivalent to an MCA. Will it be a problem if I hold a B level certificate instead of an MCA? What kind of jobs can I get after the completion of this course?

Pankaj Sharma, Hooghly

A:You will not face any problem in getting a job if you have done a B level course from DOAEEC. However, it would not be treated on a par with an MCA. You may have to start at a grade lower than someone who has done an MCA.

You could catch up with him if your performance is really good. With a B level certificate you would be able to apply to any organisation in the EDP / IT departments where they require people with such skills.

Q:I am a CA (inter) and a commerce graduate and have worked in an FMCG company. Now I work for an automobile company as an accountant. I have five years of work experience, with three years in accounting (SAP). I now want to pursue a SAP certification course. What are the skills required to clear the SAP exam and where are these exams held? Do you think this will work out for me?

Kaushal Kayal

A: To become a SAP certified professional, you need to enrol in an institute offering certificate programmes in SAP / ERP modules. With your education background and experience you would be interested in the finance / costing module of SAP. There is a huge demand for SAP professionals in the industry as well as in the consulting houses and hence you should not have a problem in getting a job after finishing your course.

Q:I am a diploma holder in mechanical engineering. I have more than three years of work experience in the production field. Some B-schools offer MBA for working executives, which are of three years’ duration. Will any of these courses be of help to me?

Debasis Dey

A:Some B-schools offer courses for working executives. These are three-year non-residential courses. You can do these while continuing with your present job. These are evening courses and hence the B-school needs to be near your place of work. These courses are well recognised and are appreciated in the industry so getting a job after the completion of the course will not be a problem. The difference is that you will not be treated on a par with regular MBA students.

Q:I am 26 years old and have been working as a sub-inspector with the BSF for the last three years. I plan to do an MBA in HR from Symbiosis, Pune, as I am keen on working in the private sector. I want to know whether this change of career will be lucrative for me. What are the career options I can look forward to?

Rajesh Kumar

A:This will be a good career move. Doing an MBA from a good institute will increase your marketability manifold and give you a head start.

Send your letters to
HR Matters at The Telegraph,
Jobs Desk,
6 Prafulla Sarkar Street, Calcutta 700001;
or fax at 2225 3142;
or send emails to
All letters should have your full name and postal address.