Ajmer blast links keep cops busy

Read more below

By OUR BUREAU in Dumka
  • Published 26.10.07

Ranchi/Dumka, Oct. 26: Investigations into the Ajmer shrine blast seem to have hit a roadblock, but the investigating agencies seem determined to overcome all hurdles.

While three SIM cards issued in the name of Babulal Yadav by outlets in Chittaranjan, Bengal, and Mihijam, Jamtara district of the state, remain untraceable, the Rajasthan CID team that arrived in Godda yesterday to nab one Kushbur Rahman failed to get a transit remand from the Godda court today.

The CID team, however, proceeded with Rahman to Jaipur today without obtaining the court certificate.

Investigations by the state police after the Hyderabad and Ajmer blasts had revealed that nine SIM cards were issued under Yadav’s name. While two of these were used for the blasts, central investigating agencies and police of various states have located four others. But they are yet to find the remaining SIMs.

“Our priority, at present, is to trace the three missing SIMs. The state police is working in tandem with police authorities of other states in this regard,” said police officer, declining to specify the names of persons whose SIMs have been traced.

Although police officers admitted the issue of fake SIMs is a matter of concern, it is impossible for them to keep an eye on a daily basis, they said.

Meanwhile, the police and CID team from Rajasthan that nabbed Rahman from Godda for alleged links to the Ajmer blast yesterday has come under criticism for illegal functioning.

Sources in Godda said the CID team approached the court of the chief judicial magistrate today and prayed for transit remand but the court refused to grant it.

“Since the CID team justified Rahman’s arrest on the basis of the case lodged in the Ajmer police station, the team should have produced a warrant before the Godda police during the time of arrest. Only then would the court would have given the transit warrant,” said a court source from Godda.

Legal experts called the arrest and subsequent police action in whisking Rahman away as illegal.

“Technically the arrest was conducted by the Thakurganti police and the accused was handed over to the CID team. The team can take the accused with them only after having the transit remand from the local court,” said Diptesh Kumar, an advocate.

Interestingly, even the Thakurganti police raised questions about the actions of the CID team and claimed that since the arrest was “illegal”, the team would have to release Rahman soon.

Godda superintendent of police Biglal Oroan was not available for comment but another top-ranking police officer, on condition of anonymity, said the arrest was not only illegal but lacks any solid evidence against the arrested and his involvement in the blasts.

However, sub-inspector, CID, crime branch, Jaipur, Ashok Kumar Saini claimed that they have solid evidence against Rahman and could establish his links with the Ajmer shrine blast.

“Soon after the blast and before the incident, Rahman reportedly established his contacts with another accused, a hard-core activist of Lasker-e-Toiba over his mobile. We have details of the printout of his phone calls which shows that Rahman has many contacts with the notorious terrorist organisation, Lasker-e-Toiba,” he said.

Before being taken away by the CID team, Rahman had also alleged police highhandedness.

“I am completely innocent but have been wrongly fabricated by the Rajasthan police in the case,” he claimed. Villagers in Chanda village, along with residents of neighbouring hamlets, protested the arrest.

In a memorandum to the district administration, the villagers claimed that Rahman is innocent and the police have falsely implicated him in the case.