Rani Lakshmi Bai, Sushmita Sen and Indira Gandhi — are three ladies who symbolise woman power. There are many more! However, these three remarkable women also have something else in common; they share a birthday (tomorrow, November 19). Here is a nugget about each one of them: a) Rani Lakshmi Bai, named Manikarnika at birth, was called ‘the best and the bravest of all the rebel leaders’ by Sir Hugh Rose; b) Indira Gandhi organised her own army called the Vanar Sena at the age of 12 to liberate India from the British; c) Sushmita Sen is the founder of I Am She, a national beauty pageant, which sends its winner to the Miss Universe and Miss Asia Pacific pageants.
1. Which river creates the Jog Falls in India?
Atin Guha Thakurta, New Barrackpore
2. With which ruler would one associate the literary work Amuktamalyada?
Mohan Dey, North 24 Parganas
3. Who is generally credited with coining the term Cold War?
Bijay Kumar Singh, Calcutta
4. The first Otis elevator in Calcutta was installed in the late 19th Century in which famous building?
Debasree Sinha, Calcutta
5. Emilio Marcos Palma was the first known person to be born in which continent?
Raju Kumar Giri, Calcutta
6. What is Sciophobia the fear of?
Tina Bannerjee, Bihar
7. Block, Cascade, Horsetail, Plunge, Tiered and Chute are all types of which natural formation?
Dipkona Roy, Calcutta
8. The name of which Italian dessert literally translates to ‘pick me up’?
Aprateem Mukherjee, Calcutta
9. Who was Hamlet referring to when he said ‘Frailty, they name is woman’?
Shreya Ghosh, Calcutta
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
November 19 is also celebrated as National Integration Day in India.
ANSWER & WIN
According to a survey done by Bloomsbury, who has been voted as the favourite character in the Harry Potter universe?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: email@example.com'
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 04.11.12
Shreya Ghosh, Calcutta
Who was New Zealand High Commissioner to India in Delhi from 1984 to 1989?
The Answer is: Edmund Hillary
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
|Identify this sportsperson|
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this entrepreneur
2. Identify this singer
1. River Sharavathi
2. Krishna Deva Raya
3. Bernard Baruch, American financier and political analyst
4. Raj Bhavan
9. Queen Gertrude, his mother
WHO AM I ? Odafa Okolie
POINT OF VIEW 1 Niklas Hed
POINT OF VIEW 2 Park Jae-sang (Psy)