The Telegraph
Monday , July 11 , 2016

Kashmir clashes continue, toll now 23

Srinagar, Jul 11 (PTI): Mobs torched a police station in Sopore and targeted the air force airport in Pulwama as clashes with security forces continued over Frida’s killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

So far, 23 people, including a policeman, have died and over 250 injured in the clashes.

”Two persons have died in an incident of violence in Kulgam district yesterday and have been identified as Feroze Ahmad Mir (22) and Khursheed Ahmad Mir (38),” a police official said.

Normal life has been paralysed after the government imposed strict restrictions on movement and the separatists called a strike.

Protesters pelted stones at the air force airport at Koil in Pulwama on Monday morning and dried to set fire to the dry grass in the complex, a police officer said.

Security forces tried to chase away the mob but the attackers were regrouping and intermittently hurling stones, he said.

Three persons were injured on Sunday when security forces opened fire to disperse a mob that was pelting stones at the air force base.

One person was injured in police action against protesters in Ganderbal district.

Stone pelting incidents were reported from Sopore, Handwara, Bandipora and Baramulla in north Kashmir, the official said.

Protesters torched a police station at fruit market in Sopore, but the men, arms and ammunitions and records were safe, a police officer said.

Mobile telephony services have been suspended in four districts of south Kashmir since Friday evening as violent protests erupted following killing of Wani in an encounter with security forces.

Strict restrictions on movement of people continued to be in place in many parts of the Valley including parts of Srinagar city, where the first death in the clashes occurred on Sunday evening.

Authorities have strengthened the presence of security forces in vulnerable areas of the city and elsewhere in the Valley to contain the protests, police said.

They said the measured have been taken to avoid any further loss of life or damage to property.

Shops, private offices, business establishments and petrol pumps were shut, while government offices and banks witnessed thin attendance, officials said.

Educational institutions in the Valley are closed because of the summer vacations.

However, some universities have postponed examinations because of the disruption on normal life.

Most of the separatist leaders, including Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik, are either in custody or under house arrest.

 More stories in Front Page

  • Zakir Naik not coming back for 3 weeks, says no agency has contacted him
  • Andrea Leadsom pulls out of race to be Britain's next PM, leaving field to May
  • Bangladesh blocks Peace TV downlink
  • Making of a social-media militant
  • State CPM takes on Delhi hawks
  • Study tests mobile story
  • Tea party had finance minister's nod: Punita
  • School is still a bridge too far in Kaimur
  • Naveen goes all out against NDA