The Telegraph
Tuesday , September 2 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Bodies found, blow to cops

The recovery of two bodies, who went missing later last month, has come up as a blow to police and their investigative methods.

The police recovered late on Sunday night the bodies of a middle-aged man and a minor girl, who went missing on August 22 and 28 respectively.

The man, identified as Gautam, was a resident of Mainpura and the driver of an additional district magistrate rank official. He had gone missing since the evening of August 22.

On Monday, the police claimed to have solved the murder case of Gautam and arrested two in this connection on Sunday. Senior superintendent of police Manu Maharaaj said: “The police recovered the body of Gautam from Mainpura late on Sunday night. The murderers had stabbed him repeatedly and then dumped the body in a deep swamp near the LCT Ghat and covered it with stones and garbage. We have arrested two persons, Sunny and Govind, in this connection. One more criminal, identified as Mithun, is still absconding. Gautam was murdered on the same night he went missing.”

When this reporter talked to Govind in the custody on Monday he admitted to his crime and had no regrets regarding it. Govind said: “Gautam was a bully and had good connections with the police. He was a police informer and used to bully the people in the locality. He also used to threaten us with dire consequences if we didn’t treat him with alcohol and chicken every time. On August 22, when we were having a drink, Gautam came and started to bully us in the name of the police. We got him drunk and then killed him and dumped his body in the same place.”

Sources said the police had visited the same spot earlier during investigations and had found bloodstains too. “It is strange that the body was in the same place but the police couldn’t spot it then. If they had used sniffer dogs during the investigations, the case could have been cracked much earlier,” he added.

In the second incident, the eight-year-old-girl went missing from near her residence at Pirmuhari on August 28 evening. Her body was recovered from a field at the Bahadurpur Housing Colony late on Sunday night. The senior superintendent of police said: “We had formed a special team to arrest the person or persons who had killed the eight-year-old girl.”

Sources in the police said the girl was raped before being killed. “On August 28, the police received the information that the girl was missing and her family lodged a complaint in this connection. Investigations were on and late on Sunday night the Agamkuan police recovered the body.”