Aug. 26: Apple has admitted that some iPhone 5 handsets were sold with defective batteries which ran out too quickly and has launched a free replacement scheme to resolve the issue.
Apple said in a statement that a “very small percentage” of iPhone 5 handsets had battery problems. The affected devices “may suddenly experience shorter battery life or need to be charged more frequently”, it said.
Customers in the US and China can have their batteries replaced now, while the programme will commence in Europe on August 29.
Those taking their phone to an Apple shop to have their battery replaced are being advised by the company to backup their data to iTunes or iCloud first, turn off the Find my iPhone feature and erase all data.
Those handsets with cracked screens may need to be repaired before the battery can be replaced, says Apple, and the owner will be charged for that service.
It is not the first time that the company has had to issue a recall over faulty batteries.
In October last year it said that a “very limited number” of iPhone 5S handsets had a “manufacturing issue... that could cause the battery to take longer to charge or result in reduced battery life”. The New York Times estimated that “a few thousand phones” were affected.
Apple is due to unveil its eagerly-awaited iPhone 6 at a “big” media event on September 9, according to reports. Judging by past releases, the iPhone 6 could then go on sale to the public from Friday, September 19.
The iPhone 6 will be powered by new operating system iOS 8 which was unveiled at Apple’s worldwide developers conference in June.
To check if your iPhone is iPhone eligible for a new battery, go to the settings app on the phone — the icon is grey and has an image of cogs on it. Within the app go to the “General” tab, then “About” and scroll down to see your serial number. It can be copied by pressing and holding on the number, then go to Apple’s recall page and see if your handset is eligible.
The iPhone 6’s release date has appeared to be confirmed as an image of what a French site claims is its promotional artwork has emerged online.
Steve Hemmerstoffer, editor of French Apple fansite nowhereelse.fr uploaded a photograph of what he claimed was the company’s new flagship smartphone’s promotional artwork yesterday.
Hemmerstoffer alleged the artwork had been passed onto him by his “most trusted and loyal Chinese sources”.