A 16-year-old boy suffered serious burns after accidentally coming in contact with a high-tension wire on Friday when he was standing atop a dumper while picking iron chips.
The boy, Krishna Singh of Bagbera in Jamshedpur, fell to the ground soon after and was rushed to MGM Medical College and Hospital by local residents. The doctors at the hospital burns ward said he had sustained 95 per cent burns.
“The boy is critical and chances of his survival are low,” said a doctor.
The accident occurred near the turning to Usha Martin on Tata-Kandra Road around 11.30am. There was quite a commotion after the accident and local police had to intervene to ensure Singh was sent to hospital as soon as possible.
“The dumper was carrying iron-slag from an industrial unit in Gamharia and was on way to a dumping yard in Gamharia. But the boy came in contact with the high-tension wire as he had climbed on to the top the dumper,” said A.N. Chowdhury, Gamharia OC.
At some places, the 15km Tata-Kandra Road is around three feet higher than surrounding areas though the height of the poles that hold the high-tension wires remains unchanged.
“There is danger of getting electrocuted by the overhead cables at several places on the Tata-Kandra Road. Though Jharkhand Urja Vikas Nigam Limited (JUVNL) has raised the height of the poles, but at some points the overhead wires hang low,” local resident Somnath Mahto alleged.
M.M. Singh, the executive engineer of Adityapur division of JUVNL, however, denied the claim, saying the height of electricity poles had been increased uniformly throughout.
“We will inspect the site of the mishap again to be sure,” the executive engineer said.