The Telegraph
Tuesday , July 22 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Teenager duo commit suicide

Two teenagers executed their death wish on Monday at Adityapur, Seraikela-Kharsawan, and Jugsalai in Jamshedpur.

Class VIII student of a state-run school, Gauri Biruli (15) hanged herself at her Kuluptanga house in RIT police station area of Adityapur, early in the morning. Industrial welder Mohammed Dilshad (17) jumped to his death on tracks along Jugsalai.

Gauri made a noose out of a dupatta and hanged herself from an iron beam in her room that was bolted from inside.

Her brother Chandu (25) said the girl had taken dinner on Sunday and had gone to bed by 11pm. “At 5.30am, I went to wake her up, as she is supposed to leave for her school by 6am. The door was bolted. Despite repeated knocks she did not open the door. That raised our suspicions that something was wrong,” Chandu said, adding he brought down the body and informed RIT police.

The police have sent the body for post-mortem.

OC Pramod Kumar Singh said it was a case of suicide. “The teenager hanged herself. We have sent the body for autopsy,” Singh said.

In the other incident, Garib Nawaj Colony resident Dilshad left his house at 6.30am, saying he had some urgent work. Within an hour, the boy was found mangled after being run over by a speeding train along Jugsalai market.

“In the morning, Dilshad performed the rituals related to Ramazan in the same way that he had been doing for the past 20 days. He left home this morning on the pretext of some important work. Within an hour, we got the news from local residents that Dilshad had been run over by a train,” sobbed his bereaved father Mohammed Sagir.

Dilshad was one of the three children of Sagir, an industrial worker. The teenager also worked in an industrial unit as welder.

A team from Jugsalai police station reached the spot and recovered the body. They sent it for post-mortem.

OC Ashok Giri confirmed it to be a case of suicide. “However, we are yet to ascertain the reason,” said Giri.

M. Ram of suicide prevention centre Jeevan said that with these two incidents, 128 residents of the industrial hub had killed themselves since January 1, 2014.