The Telegraph
Saturday , July 19 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Cop shifted after assault

Jehanabad additional superintendent of police S.M. Wakil Ahmed was removed from the district on Friday following the assault on a middle-aged woman early on Thursday.

Ahmed has been asked to assume charge as staff officer in the office of the Tirhut inspector-general. But, no action has been taken against the officer heading the Jehanabad Town police station, Nagendra Kumar Singh, under whose watch the assault took place at Nijamuddinpur village, around 60km south of Patna.

Jehanabad superintendent of police Aditya Kumar confirmed Ahmed’s transfer. He defended the officer, saying Ahmed was shifted to the Patna police headquarters from Jehanabad on July 15. “He was about to be relieved from the district when the incident happened in the intervening night of July 16 and 17,” the SP said.

The SP said he had spoken to the assaulted woman, Sangeeta Devi, over phone after receiving information about the attack on her house by a mob on Wednesday night. According to Aditya Kumar, the woman “misled” the police, saying she had already reached Jehanabad railway station and would talk to him after two days.

The SP said though Sangeeta was present in her house, she “misled” the police as her role was under the scanner after two persons — Chunnu Sharma and Rakesh Kumar — went missing from her house. Aditya Kumar claimed that the police rescued all the three — Sangeeta, her daughter and a family acquaintance — from the clutches of the mob.

Deputy inspector-general (Magadh range) P.K. Srivastava visited the village of Nijamuddinpur on Friday to take stock of the situation. Defending the police, Srivastava said: “The attackers outnumbered the police. Had the police not been there, all the three would have been lynched.”

Srivastava denied any police negligence. “The mob was hostile. Had they opened fire, the situation would have worsened,” he said on Friday. Srivastava would submit a report in a day or two.

Police said four FIRs have been lodged in connection with the incident. The first has been lodged on the basis of Sangeeta’s statement in connection with assault and stripping. Another has been filed by Sangeeta’s associate Munna Kumar. The third has been registered by the police against 600 unknown people for pelting stones on the force. The fourth FIR was penned by Pulendra Sharma, the father of Chunnu Sharma.