The Telegraph
Friday , July 11 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Electrocuted while seeing fish

Burdwan, July 10: A 13-year-old schoolboy in Burdwan who had gone to see fish at a neighbour’s house died of electrocution today after he came in contact with an iron grille that had been electrified apparently to prevent theft.

Biswanath Biswas, a Class VII student, had failed to see the wiring on the gate of aquarium fish trader Bapan Haldar’s house in Kalna when he went there around 7am to see coloured fish. There was no signboard on the gate warning against touching it.

Biswanath was declared dead on arrival at hospital. Bapan, his mother and sister have fled their home in Purba Satgachhia village.

“Bapan used to keep the fish in earthen pots in a clearing on his house compound. The fish were visible from outside and children used to crowd in front of the house to see them. Biswanath had gone to take a closer look. He got electrocuted when he tried to open the gate,” said Ramesh Biswas, a neighbour.

Ramesh said Bapan used to keep the gate electrified from night to around 6am every day to prevent the theft of fish. The area where the fish were kept in the pots was surrounded by live electric wires.

Burdwan superintendent of police S.M.H. Meerza said: “I have instructed the officer in charge of Kalna police station to charge the youth (Bapan) with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.”