The Telegraph
Saturday , June 28 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Finger at TTE for lady’s fall

Malda, June 27: A 40-year-old woman was found on the railway tracks near Eklakhi Station today and her daughter has alleged that she was pushed off a running train by a travelling ticket examiner for not having tickets.

Local people ransacked the railway station after the incident and assaulted three other TTEs who were travelling in the Malda-Balurghat Gour Link Express as the woman. The GRP and Gajole police rescued the three TTEs. Eklakhi is 29km from here.

Baiful Biwi has been admitted to the Malda Medical College and Hospital with multiple injuries. Her condition is stable.

According to a source, Baiful is a resident of Rahamatpur, around 7km from Malda. Her husband Esahar Ali is a day wage labourer and the couple have four daughters.

Baiful and her daughter Amiran Biwi boarded a general compartment of the train at Adina station (20km from Malda) at 6.30am to go to Eklakhi. The fare from Adina to Eklakhi is Rs 5.

“We had a Rs 100 note and no other change. So we couldn’t buy tickets. Four TTEs came to us and we told them that we didn't have tickets and explained the reason,” said Amiran. “Suddenly, one of them (TTE R.P. Ram) said we had to pay Rs 100 as fine. We disagreed and there was an altercation. Suddenly, the TTE pushed my mother out of the train,” the daughter said.

As the train entered Eklakhi station around 7.30am, Amiran narrated the incident to Sirajul Islam, a relative who was waiting to receive the mother-daughter duo. “After I heard the incident I informed some villagers, several of whom soon reached the station,” said Islam.

As villagers reached the station, Ram, the accused TTE, managed to escape and left for Balurghat in the same train. The remaining three TTEs, however, could not escape. One of them took shelter in a toilet and two others hid in the office of the station manager in Eklakhi. All the three were soon found and allegedly assaulted and gheraoed by the local people.

The GRP and Gajole police reached the station and dispersed the crowd.

“The woman and her daughter did not have tickets. When we asked for fine, they started quarrelling with us. The woman was standing close to the door. She suddenly lost her balance and fell from the train. None of us have pushed her off the train,” said Gopal Majhi, one of the three TTEs.

Arun Kumar Mishra, the divisional railway manager of Katihar, however, gave a different version. “For the past few days, a team of TTEs has been carrying out raids on trains to discourage travel without tickets. Today, they found these two women travelling without tickets. As the TTEs asked for fine, one of the women jumped out of the train,” he said.

District police officers in Malda said they had received two complaints. “Amiran Biwi and the station manager of Eklakhi have filed two different complaints. We are investigating the cases,” said Prasun Banerjee, the superintendent of police of Malda.