The Telegraph
Wednesday , June 25 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Negligence slur on docs after boy death

Siliguri, June 24: Parents of a six-year-old boy alleged that their son had died today because of an overdose of anaesthesia before a hydrocele surgery at North Bengal Medical College and Hospital here.

Nilrudra Roy from Sonapur in North Dinajpur had gone under knife at 10am yesterday. According to his father Himangshu Roy, the boy was admitted to NBMCH on Friday.

“My son was in good physical condition when he was taken inside the operation theatre. When doctors emerged out of the OT at 11.45am after the surgery, they didn’t say anything about the operation. After two hours, the OT staff told us that my son had been kept in an adjacent room till he regained consciousness,” said Roy, a paan shop owner.

He said there wasn’t any doctor or nurse in the room to monitor Nilrudra. “I and my wife panicked because he showed no movement at all.”

As Nilrudra didn’t regain consciousness even after two hours, doctors took him inside the OT again, saying the pulse rate was very slow.

“From the OT, he was shifted to the ICU after nearly two hours. At 4 this morning, we were informed that he had passed away,” said the father.

Roy said the boy had died because of overdose of anaesthesia.

“My son was in good physical condition before the surgery. There was negligence on the part of doctors who administered an overdose of anaesthesia which resulted in my son’s death.”

Hydrocele is a collection of fluid in the scrotum area in males. A small operation is performed on the patient to remove the hydrocele.

The boy’s father filed an FIR at the police outpost at NBMCH under Matigara police station today, alleging negligence by the doctors who conducted the surgery.

Later today, around 20 residents of Sonapur demonstrated in front of the hospital superintendent’s office, demanding immediate steps against the doctors.

Shekhar Ranjan Basu, the acting superintendent of NBMCH, said he had ordered a post-mortem on the boy.

“A five-member inquiry committee, too, has been set up to probe the allegations of negligence. The panel has been asked to submit their report in seven days,” said Basu.