The Telegraph
Wednesday , June 18 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

4 cops axed for ‘dead’ girl probe

In the case of jailing three youths for the “rape and murder” of a girl later found to be alive, Ranchi SSP Prabhat Kumar on Tuesday suspended three sub-inspectors and slapped a showcause on a subdivisional police officer (SDPO) involved in the probe, while director-general of police Rajeev Kumar recommended a CID investigation.

The sub-inspectors are Sanjay Kumar, Surendra Kendulana and Krishna Murari, while the SDPO concerned is R.S. Roy Kumar.

Kumar was Bundu OC when probe started, Kendulana the investigating officer of the case while Murari, the Chutia thana OC, was the first to say that the partially burnt body recovered from Bundu that of a girl missing from his police station area. The SDPO is one R.S. Roy posted at Bundu.

In another development, the statement of the girl, who was said to be dead, could not be recorded at city court on Tuesday due to procedural delay.

Apparently, applications took the entire working day of the court from 7am to noon.

A policeman deputed to complete the legal formality of recording her statement said it would be done on Wednesday at the court of judicial magistrate M.K. Sharma.

Roy, who was in the court, said they had done nothing wrong.

“The girl’s father had committed the mistake of identifying the partially burnt body as his daughter,” he said outside the court of judicial magistrate Nitisha Barla.

Now, the onus is on the police to start the probe afresh by accurately identifying the partially charred body.

A policeman said the mistake was malicious and committed at the onset of the probe by “certain men in uniform”.

“The partially burnt body recovered at Bundu was of a married woman in the age group of 22-25 years. But police did not hesitate in saying she was a 17-year-old girl who had gone missing from Chutia,” he said.

The policeman added that the three youths had protested their innocence and backed it up with evidence, but no one had believed them.