The Telegraph
Monday , May 26 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Search for killers draws a blank

Police on the look-out for the killers of Kasba electrician Manoj Shaw searched three houses in Sonarpur on Sunday morning but failed to find any suspect.

Among the seven suspects is a Kasba youth who the police say runs a syndicate of supplying construction materials.

The 32-year-old electrician was attacked by a motorbike-borne gang in a Bosepukur pocket that has been witnessing a realty boom over the past few years.

Acting on a tip off, cops from Kasba police station searched three places in Sonarpur, on the southern fringe of the city, early on Sunday.

“We had information that as soon as news of Shaw’s death spread on Saturday morning, the seven named by the victims in his dying statement fled Kasba and took shelter at their associates’ houses in Sonarpur,” said an an officer.

The suspected hideouts were raided in the early hours in the hope that the accused would still be holed up. “But our plan failed as all seven had left Sonarpur on Saturday evening,” the officer said.

The sleuths of the detective department’s anti-rowdy squad have been engaged to track down the seven.

The police suspect after a preliminary probe that the murder was a fallout of a rivalry between suppliers of building materials in Kasba.

Manoj’s associates alleged that he was murdered because he had protested against the activities of Munna Pandey, who runs a building material syndicate in the Kasba area.

“Munna, who had switched sides from the CPM to Trinamul just before the 2011 Assembly polls, has been forcing small players in Kasba to shut their businesses and work for him. Manoj was against this,” alleged Sheikh Usman, a supplier of building material supplier for whom Manoj worked.

Mill trouble

The management of Auckland Jute Mill of Jagaddal in North 24-Parganas suspended work “temporarily” on Sunday morning following a clash between workers and officials on Saturday.

Trouble started when the officials sought an explanation from workers for being absent last week, said police. A heated argument soon turned into a clash.