The Telegraph
Saturday , May 3 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Murder off Nido chargesheet

New Delhi, May 2: The CBI today filed a chargesheet in the fatal mob attack on Arunachal Pradesh student Nido Tania in Delhi, accusing four adults and three juveniles of culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

Tania, 19, died hours after being beaten by a mob at the Lajpat Nagar market on January 29. A shopkeeper’s racial taunt at him had triggered a row during which Tania and his friends allegedly smashed a shop’s glass window.

CBI spokesperson Kanchan Prasad explained why, unlike Delhi police who originally handled the case, the agency had not brought murder charges against the accused, whom she described as shopkeepers and local people.

“The death was caused by a sudden fight on the spur of the moment, which was precipitated by the breaking of the glass counter. There was no weapon used in the attack except a stick,” Prasad said.

Tania’s friends had said he had complained to the local police after the initial fracas but the cops took him back to the scene, forced him to pay a shopkeeper Rs 10,000 and left him at the mob’s mercy.

Prasad said the CBI hadn’t found anything against the police. She said a fresh chargesheet would be filed with the Juvenile Justice Board tomorrow in the name of the three under-18 accused.

Farman, Pawan, Sunder and Sunny Uppal — the four adult accused — and the three juveniles have been charged with culpable homicide, illegal confinement and offences under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.

Tania, son of Congress MLA Nido Pavitra, was a first-year BA student in Jalandhar and was visiting Delhi to meet his sister.

His death led to a national outcry and triggered protests in Delhi by students from the Northeast, who have demanded an anti-racial discrimination law. Parliament too condemned the continuing hate crimes against people from the Northeast, which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh linked to “intolerance and prejudice”.

Delhi police had slapped murder charges against the accused after the post-mortem report revealed that Tania had died of head and face injuries caused by a blunt object.

The case was transferred to the CBI after Tania’s parents met Union home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Rahul Gandhi, demanding speedy justice.