The Telegraph
Monday , April 21 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Son in dark about mother death

A distraught Sayan Basu could be calmed only after being told that his mother was in another room in the same hospital.

“He was very close to his mother and had just been operated on. We did not have the heart to tell him the truth — that his mother had died in the car crash that also claimed his grandfather and left him and his father critically injured,” said a family member.

The 15-year-old, a student of Class X, underwent surgery for hip dislocation on Saturday night at Belle Vue Clinic and was shifted to a bed beside the one on which his father was lying unconscious, on ventilator, in the Intensive Therapy Unit.

Sayan also suffered fractures in the ankle and forearm, said doctors.

“The boy is recovering fast and if he can come out of mental trauma, he can be released in four-five days. However, the accident has left him traumatised, and since early on Sunday, he kept asking about his parents. So we had to shift him to a bed beside his father’s,” said orthopaedic surgeon S.M. Lakhotia, who is treating the father and the son.

As for the father, a hospital official said: “He has suffered a critical lung injury, internal bleeding, and fractures in the right ankle, hands, ribs, head and legs.”

The accident occurred when Sayan and his parents and paternal grandfather were on their way home to Raghunathpur, near Baguiati, in the family’s Hyundai Santro on Saturday after lunch at a restaurant at City Centre New Town. The family was celebrating Sayan’s good academic results and the 16th marriage anniversary of Ayan and Suparna.

The Basus had just driven out of City Centre and taken a U-turn on their way to Baguiati when a bus came in the way. The car suddenly picked up speed and rammed into the bus from behind.

Ayan, an executive in the marketing wing of Exide Industries Limited, was at the wheel. Suparna, who was seated beside him, died on the spot after a piece of glass from the broken windscreen pierced her forehead.

Ayan’s father Pranab Basu, 67, who was in the back seat with his grandson, died on the spot, too.

Police suspect Ayan had mistakenly pressed the accelerator while trying to press the brake. All four were taken to Charnock Hospital, off VIP Road’s Haldiram crossing, from where the father and the son were shifted to Belle Vue.

Pranab and Suparna were cremated on Sunday after post-mortem at Barasat District Hospital.

The Basus, who are from Jamshedpur, had shifted to their 1,200sq ft, three-bedroom flat in Raghunathpur in 2005.

Before that, Ayan used to work with the sales and marketing wing of MRF Tyres in Jaipur from 1995 to 2001.

He joined Exide in 2003 and the family lived in a rented accommodation before shifting to the Raghunathpur flat.

“They were a very happy family and always used to spend time together. Be it Durga Puja, a family vacation or a weekend eating-out, the four would always be together,” a neighbour said on Sunday.