The Telegraph
Wednesday , April 9 , 2014
CIMA Gallary


Q: I have a 35-year-old LPG connection but that is in my nickname. All my documents such as bank passbooks, Aadhaar card, voter ID card and PAN card are in my official name. How can I have my name rectified for the purpose of the transfer of gas subsidy to my bank account?

Parthasarathi Nag, Calcutta

A: You have to execute an affidavit sworn before a notary or judicial magistrate. Submit it to the concerned authorities with an application and supporting documents including your address proof and ID card. The affidavit should include the facts you have stated and also that your nickname and official name belong to you, who is the same and identical person.

Q: My mother owns a two-storey house. I have been told that she has given the first floor to my brother under pressure. I have not seen the deed and I fear that the entire house may have been given to him. How can I find out if that has happened? Can my brother legally make her sign on such papers? What should my next course of action be?

Suman Das, Kanchrapara, West Bengal

A: It is possible that your mother has gifted or willed a portion of the property, as described by you, to your brother. If she has executed a gift deed, you can obtain its certified copy by conducting a search in the appropriate property registration offices. However, if a will has been executed you will not get access to the contents till her demise. Your mother alone can revoke or cancel the documents if she has been coerced or unduly influenced. You could express your apprehension to her and also inform the local police station about it.

Q: Can a Bangladeshi citizen purchase property and open a bank account in India? If yes, what are the required formalities and documents?

Prakash Nath Jha, Calcutta

A: Opening of bank accounts or purchase of immovable property by a citizen of Bangladesh or Pakistan would need the prior approval of the Reserve Bank of India. The application has to be sent to the Chief General Manager-in-charge, Foreign Exchange Department, Foreign Investment Division, Reserve Bank of India, Central Office, Mumbai 400001. Such a person may buy property other than agricultural or plantation land and farmhouses. The purchase is to be made in accordance with the provisions of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999, and regulations laid down by the RBI.