The Telegraph
Saturday , April 5 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Twin murders baffle cops

Cases of murder are on the rise in Patna days before the elections.

Two murders rocked the city on Thursday late evening at the time when police were already grappling with two assassinations committed in a span of two days.

A 20-year-old girl on her way home in a bicycle was shot dead by two persons on a motorcycle at Naga Baba bridge under Bihta police station in Patna outskirts. The girl, identified as Anu Kumari, was supposed to get married in two months. The police are investigating the case from two angles.

An officer with Bihta police station, around 35km southwest of Patna, said the police are yet to identify the killers. “The girl was riding back home in Raghunathpur. She suddenly fell off the bridge. The residents of the locality informed the police and she was taken to the hospital at 8.30pm. But she was declared brought dead by doctors. A post-mortem confirmed she was shot,” the officer said.

He added that it looked like an affair gone awry.

“A jilted lover could be behind this. But during investigations we have found another angle too. The girl was supposed to get married in two months. She was the youngest among two sisters. Her elder sibling is married. We are also focusing on a family feud over property. The girl’s father, Ajay Sharma, was planning to sell a plot to arrange cash for his daughter’s marriage. The elder daughter’s husband thought that they would get nothing if the land was sold. There is a suspicion that the husband might have planned the assassination,” the officer said.

According to the police, her family’s statements are confusing. “The family even tried to tamper with the evidence. We have collected blood samples and have sent it to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL),” the officer said.

Janipur police, on the other hand, had to deal with a murder late Thursday night. Five persons beat a 25-year-old man, identified as Mohammad Sabir, to death in his house at Bahratola, around 25km from Patna. “There was a land dispute and five persons entered Sabir’s house around 11pm and beat him black and blue. The man died on the spot. Four of the five accused have been arrested,” an officer said.