The Telegraph
Monday , March 31 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Akhil sent to jail custody

Jorhat, March 30: The court of Titabar sub-divisional judicial magistrate (SDJM) in the district today remanded KMSS president Akhil Gogoi to judicial custody till April 11.

Akhil was flown here by a Jorhat police team from Guwahati Central Jail after he was arrested in a case (No. 17/14) registered against him at Titabar police station on February 3 — the day he and hundreds of KMSS activists staged a protest in front of the office of Titabar sub-divisional officer (civil) against alleged financial anomalies.

As the protest turned violent, the police caned the protesters and detained Akhil and KMSS joint secretary Vedanta Laskar inside office campus of the Titabar SDO (civil) for about four hours.

The Titabar seat is represented by chief minister Tarun Gogoi.

Akhil has been booked under Sections 147 (rioting), 148 (rioting, armed with deadly weapon or with anything) 149 (offence committed by any member of an unlawful assembly), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty) of the IPC. Sections 353 and 332 are non-bailable.

Police sources said Akhil was flown in according to medical advice of the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital where he had a check-up on Friday and was advised travel by rail or air. Akhil is scheduled to be examined at the GMCH on April 1 for further medical tests.

A large number of police personnel were deployed at the airport at Rowriah here and also on the Titabar court premises. As the flight landed at 12.30pm, the police bundled him into an ambulance and took him to Titabar, nearly 20km from here. To waiting reporters, Akhil shouted that the state government was “conspiring to kill him by slow poisoning”. “I am very ill and weak, but forcefully brought here as I have taken on the government for largescale corruption. I do not know what injections and medicines were given to me,” Akhil said.

He was “shown arrested” yesterday by the police after he was granted bail by Gauhati High Court in nine police cases and by the additional chief judicial magistrate (Kamrup) in two other police cases on Friday. He was about to be released from Guwahati Central Jail.

Titabar SDJM Abhijeet Kumar Baruah, while reserving the order on the bail petition filed by Akhil’s lawyers Rintu Goswami and Jayanta Goswami “for tomorrow”, sent him to judicial custody till April 11 and directed the police to submit the case diary to the court tomorrow.

Rintu Goswami told The Telegraph that the court had also directed the authorities of Central Jail Jorhat to conduct tests as required and provide all necessary medical treatment to Akhil, and if required take assistance of doctors of Jorhat Medical College and Hospital. Akhil’s mother Priyada Gogoi today met him on the court campus.