The Telegraph
Friday , March 21 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Sita back behind bars

Ranchi, March 20: JMM MLA Sita Soren, an accused in the 2012 Rajya Sabha poll cash-stash case, finally reached her court-designated place, the Birsa Munda Central Prison in Hotwar, this morning after evading jail for the past three weeks on the pretext of various ailments.

Escorted by security guards, the Jama legislator left the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) around 9:20am.

Medical superintendent, RIMS, S. K. Choudhary said Sita was discharged yesterday and she left the hospital this morning.

If sources at RIMS cottage are to be believed, the tainted MLA looked grim and seemed reluctant to leave the hospital today. “Jail jaana kisko achcha lagta hai (Who likes going to jail)?” asked one of the nurses when this correspondent visited the hospital this morning.

Bade log kab theek rahte hain aur kab nahi, kaun jaanta hai. (When influential people feel good or bad, no one knows),” she added, pointing out how the high and mighty of Jharkhand use the pretext of ailments to evade imprisonment.

The daughter-in-law of JMM chief Shibu Soren has been evading jail since February 25 when she surrendered before a CBI court in Ranchi, which remanded her to judicial custody in the Birsa Munda jail.

However, within hours of reaching the jail, she complained of uneasiness and chest pain, forcing the authorities to shift her to RIMS.

But, the court, taking cognizance of the matter, slapped show-causes on both jail and RIMS authorities, seeking details of Sita’s medical condition.

While jail officials, in their response, cited lack of facilities at the jail hospital, RIMS authorities filed an affidavit, saying they were looking into all her complaints and sought 21 days to submit a complete report. The CBI court has been monitoring the case.

Sita was first tested for chest ailments and then back pains. On March 14, doctors at RIMS declared her fit. But, on March 15, she returned to the RIMS cottage minutes after she left the hospital, citing chest pain.

Yesterday, the RIMS medical board again recommended the MLA be discharged from the hospital and informed the jail authorities.

Sita, who was in no mood to leave the hospital yesterday, had no option but to head for the jail as hospital and jail authorities were to submit their reports in court today

Jail superintendent D.K. Pradhan confirmed her arrival and said she was lodged in the women’s section of the upper division ward.

“She was calm and has been shifted to her cell,” he said.