Tamluk, March 13: The additional chief judicial magistrate’s court in Haldia has allowed the withdrawal of 35 cases related to the Nandigram land agitation.
The cabinet had on January 31 approved a proposal to begin the process of withdrawing 122 cases related to the Singur movement and 303 linked to Nandigram. The move, if cleared by the courts, will give relief to around 4,000 people in Nandigram and 300 in Singur, all of whom are Trinamul supporters.
After the government appealed in the Haldia court last month for the withdrawal of 100 cases in the first phase, judge Deb Kumar Sukul said he would hear the complainants. Altogether 25 complainants, including a former CPI MLA, last week told the court that they had no objection if the cases were withdrawn. While four of the complainants have died, six did not turn up in the court.
“The judge allowed the withdrawal of 35 of the 303 cases,” a government lawyer said.