The Telegraph
Monday , March 10 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

City stunned at home

Wiganís James Perch celebrates with James McArthur and Jordi Gomez, on Sunday

London: Manchester City’s hopes of an unprecedented quadruple were in tatters on Sunday after holders Wigan Athletic repeated their FA Cup heroics with a stunning 2-1 victory in their quarter final, at the Etihad Stadium.

Jordi Gomez’s first-half penalty and a tap-in by James Perch gave Wigan, who beat City 1-0 in the FA Cup final at Wembley last May, a place in this year’s semi-finals against Arsenal.

City, who won the League Cup last Sunday and need to overturn a two-goal deficit to Barcelona in the second leg of their Champions League tie next week, looked jaded against their second-tier opponents until they staged a thrilling late fightback.

Frenchman Samir Nasri made City’s breakthrough in the 68th minute with a sweet 20-metre left-foot strike.

Substitute Edin Dzeko came within inches of forcing a replay, but Emmerson Boyce produced a remarkable last-ditch block and Wigan, managed by former City favourite Uwe Rosler, held on.

In the other quarter finals played on Sunday, Sheffield United beat Charlton Athletic 2-0 and Hull City defeated Sunderland 3-0 to set up the second semi-final.

Arsenal beat Everton 4-1 on Saturday.

Sheffield United kept alive their FA Cup dream when two goals in as many minutes gave them a 2-0 victory.

Hull’s Curtis Davies, David Meyler and Matty Fryatt scored in a nine-minute spell — capitalising on two wretched mistakes by Sunderland midfielder Lee Cattermole — as Steve Bruce’s club advanced to the semi-finals for the first time since 1930.

At Bramall Lane, second-half strikes from Ryan Flynn and John Brayford caught second-tier Charlton cold, as the Blades became the first third-tier team since 2001 to reach the competition’s last four.

Midfielder Flynn put four-times Cup winners United ahead in the 65th minute, when he sneaked in at the far post to nudge home from an awkward height a left-wing cross from United’s man-of-the-match Jose Baxter.

One minute, 42 seconds later the home side doubled their lead. Jamie Murphy’s surging run down the left set up defender Brayford, whose low 20-metre effort took a cruel deflection off the visitors’ Richard Wood and rolled into the net.

“I’m just delighted for everyone we’re going to Wembley,” United manager Nigel Clough, who was part of the Nottingham Forest side that lost the 1991 FA Cup final to Tottenham Hotspur, said. “Winning nine games on the spin, and to keep so many clean sheets, we deserve it,” Clough added.

The result was a personal triumph for the former England player, who was sacked by Derby County last September.

Charlton — who were aiming to reach the semi-finals for the first time since 1947, when they won the Cup — were left to rue a glaring miss by Callum Harriott when the score was still level.

Marcus Tudgay burst on to a quick free-kick and hooked the ball back into the danger area, but with the United goalkeeper out of position and half of the goal at his mercy, Harriott could only sidefoot wide on the stretch.