The Telegraph
Friday , February 14 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Harass whiff in fall to death from train

Tamluk, Feb. 13: A girl studying in a private engineering college in Sodepur fell off a Kharagpur-bound local train and died after making SOS calls that she was being harassed by some youths tonight, her family said.

The 20-year-old girl’s body was found at Chirai, a station 18km from Mecheda in East Midnapore, where she was supposed to get off and take a bus home to another town in the same district.

The father made the allegation about harassment on the local train after being told by his daughter’s friend about a distress call the girl had made earlier in the evening.

The father said she first rang him up and found that the phone switched off. She then rang up her friend around 5.45pm and told her to contact her family in Tamluk immediately. According to the father, who has spoken to the friend, the girl had said: “Amake kichhu chheley train theke naamte dichheyna (some boys are not allowing me to get off the train).”

Minutes after alerting the friend, the girl called her mother and told her the same thing. “My daughter said she had overshot Mecheda and the train was near Panskura. But before I could reply, the call got disconnected,” the father said.

The family dialled the girl’s number repeatedly “but the cellphone was switched off”, the father said tonight while taking the body back to Tamluk.

Debashish Ponda, a family acquaintance, said the girl lived in Sodepur as a paying guest with other engineering students. “She travelled alone when she came home,” Ponda said.

She usually took Kharagpur-bound local trains from Howrah to come home.

He said the family was unaware that she was to come home today. Her panicked phone call to her mother was when the parents realised that she had set off homewards.

The family has not lodged a police complaint yet as they got the body late at night.

They had alerted the GRP about their daughter and were told by the force that a body had been spotted near Chirai station in East Midnapore. Around 10pm, the girl’s father reached Chirai and identified the body.