The Telegraph e-Paper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Teen stabbed to death near home

A 19-year-old boy was chased down and stabbed to death by three unidentified men barely 10m from his house at Harmu Housing Colony in the heart of Ranchi late on Saturday night.

Mrinal Ranjan, alias Chulbul, who started working at Advanced Diagnostic Centre in Bariatu after completing his matriculation last year, was returning from his uncle’s house when he was murdered around 10.30pm.

On Monday, his father Kamod Kumar Pandey (50) hit out at the police for failing to make any arrest. “In the past 10 days, four persons, including my son, were killed and at least three more were injured in attacks across the city. But so far, police have failed to arrest any one. If we are not safe in the state capital, one can only imagine what will be the situation like outside Ranchi, where the number of police personnel deployed is far less,” Pandey said.

According to him, the assailants accosted his son near Marriage Banquet Hall behind the residence of former chairman of Jharkhand Education Tribunal Late L.P.N. Shahdeo. Chulbul started running to save his life, but the criminals caught up with him and stabbed him three times in front of his house, about half a km from the marriage hall.

“Chulbul was still alive and somehow managed to get into his maternal uncle’s house. They informed me and we took him to Gurunanak Hospital, which referred him to Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences. But the doctors declared him brought dead around 10.45pm,” Pandey, who also has three daughters, said.

He added that Chulbul did not have enmity with anyone.

“After completing matriculation from DAV Public School-Kapildev, Chulbul joined Advanced Diagnostic Centre last August. He used to leave home at 8am and return by 9pm. I really don’t know why those people killed him. We are shattered now as he was the only breadwinner in our family,” the father cried.

Pandey’s wife Upam Pandey was inconsolable too. “Mera beta la do (Bring back my son),” she wailed.

Superintendent of police (city) Manoj Ratan said: “I visited the spot yesterday (Sunday) and ordered thorough investigations. I hope results will come soon,” he said.

An officer at Argora police station, where an FIR had been registered, said call details of the boy’s phone were being verified. “We got to know that the teen was attacked a few minutes after he left his uncle’s home while speaking to someone on his mobile phone. He was saying ‘Sandeep bhai, hum aa rahen hain,” the officer added.