The Telegraph
Monday , January 20 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Fire and smoke at CID hub

A small fire raged for an hour at the CID headquarters in Bhawani Bhavan on Sunday morning.

“Major damage to files or property did not occur because the flames were doused in time,” said a CID officer.

Cops at the office of the superintendent of police (South 24-Parganas) in the adjacent building noticed smoke billowing out of a third-floor window of the CID hub around 9.45am. They alerted the fire department.

Five fire tenders brought the flames under control around 10.15am and doused it by 11am.

Fire-fighters were spared the pains of evacuating the building as most of the offices were closed on Sunday.

“The fire was probably sparked by a short circuit in an AC unit of the CID conference room,” said a senior officer of the state fire department.

The room was filled with thick smoke from an exhauster. Of the five fire tenders sent by the Tollygunge fire station, only two were used.

Fire department officials have asked for a complete inspection of the electrical set-up of the building.

Apart from the CID headquarters, Bhawani Bhavan on Belvedere Road houses several other offices such as the state human rights commission, the minorities commission, the information commission, the inspector general (south Bengal) and the additional director general (traffic).