The Madhyamgram rape victim who later died of burns had been gang-raped twice, police have said after denying for months the second assault.
The North 24-Parganas police filed a second chargesheet in the case in a Barasat court on January 8, slapping gang rape, abduction and wrongful confinement charges on some youths in connection with the second assault.
The first chargesheet, filed on December 17, carried the same charges in connection with the first gang rape.
The 16-year-old alleged that she had been gang-raped twice, once on October 26 and again the next evening when she and her father were returning home after lodging a police complaint.
The girl was admitted to RG Kar Medical College and Hospital with severe burns on December 23 and died on New Year’s Eve.
At a press conference on October 28, North 24-Parganas police superintendent Tanmay Ray Chaudhuri denied that the girl had been gang-raped a second time while returning home from Madhyamgram police station.
On Wednesday, Ray Chaudhuri said the girl had not complained about the second gang rape when he held the press conference. “The girl lodged a police complaint about the second gang rape in November,” said the district police chief.
The girl’s father alleged that the police had initially refused to register a complaint for the second gang rape.
But many police officers questioned Ray Chaudhuri’s decision to hold a press conference without knowing all facts. “The police should have first gathered all information. There was no need to hold the press conference. Such statements from a district police chief puts immense pressure on the victim and her family,” said an officer not linked to the Madhyamgram probe.
“I am happy that the police have finally admitted what we have been saying,” said the girl’s father.
The contents of the second chargesheet came to light on Wednesday when fast-track court 4 in Barasat referred the case to the district judge to decide which court will conduct the trial. The district judge assigned the case to the additional district judge II, Santanu Jha, who will hear submissions on both chargesheets.
The girl’s father, who has been offered a job by Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar, said: “I will take the job as I have to run my family. But I will keep coming back to Calcutta to get justice. I will fight for my daughter.”