There was a time, not so long ago, when I was quite the technophobe. But thanks to a social networking site on which I have become fairly visible and my many hours of research on my iPad, I have conquered that fear. Though I must confess I am still a far-cry from many of today's GenY for whom Gingerbread, Jellybean, and KitKat are not merely confectionery items but rather Android OS. While I have just about mastered the art of putting my point across in 140 characters, they are into Keek, supposedly a cross between Twitter and YouTube, and Chirp, an app that lets you share a photo or web link immediately with people in your vicinity by creating an ad-hoc network. Though Facebook is still the undisputed king, there is a plethora of new and innovative social networking media like Medium, App.net, and Nextdoor, tailor-made for specific users. Each to their own.
Identify this Nobel Laureate
1. The Hindu employees of Nawabs and Nizams developed the vegetarian version of which dish and called it Tahiri?
Tirthankar Gupta, Calcutta
2. Which state in India has the largest area under forest cover?
Nayan Dasgupta, Calcutta
3. After which manager, did Manchester United rename one of the stands in their stadium, in November 2011?
Biswabrata Ghosh, Calcutta
4. For which film did Shah Rukh Khan win his first Filmfare award for Sensational Debut?
Saurabh Ray, Calcutta
5. Whose theories were published under the name Notes on Nursing?
Rohan Mistry, Asansol
6. In northern India, the WYC and EYC are two canals that divert the water of which river (except during the three monsoon months)?
Manali Chatterjee, Calcutta
7. What is the Indian name for a stylised sign language used to depict an idea, a situation or a state of being, in classical Indian dances?
Rupendra Shaw, Patna
8. The Arabic word for ‘bean seed’ gives us the unit to measure the purity of which precious metal on a scale of 24?
Arnab Basu, Siliguri
9. In a leap year, which month of the Indian National Calendar or Panchang, has an extra day?
Sankalita Dutta, Calcutta
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this singer
2. Identify this football player
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
According to reports, mobile platform use is slated to overtake desktop Internet usage by next year making it the in thing to have the latest SoLoMo (social-local-mobile) apps on your phone.
ANSWER & WIN
Which modern day symbol widely used in electronic communication was originally a unit of weight or of volume, representing one amphora?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: [email protected]
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 1.09.13
Sankalita Dutta, Calcutta
Which Indian cricketer is credited with the most number of stumpings in his career in One Day Internationals?
The Answer is: M S Dhoni
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
2. Madhya Pradesh
3. Sir Alex Ferguson
5. Florence Nightingale
WHO AM I ?
POINT OF VIEW 1
POINT OF VIEW 2