This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious about how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is actually wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out.
Got it? Look closely. 'E', the most commonly used letter in the English language, is missing from the entire paragraph. This is just one of the questions that we ask at Derek's Challenge, a self-improvement and soft skills challenge that reaches out to over 14 lakh students across India.
Identify this head of state
1. According to a survey by the University of Worcester, which book by Charles Dickens ranks as the number one book parents want their children to read?
Preetha Chakraborty, Calcutta
2. VVS Laxman is the great grand nephew of which former President of India?
Sumit Agarwal, Ranchi
3. Which dinosaur had the largest brain volume amongst all dinosaurs?
Ankita Dey, Calcutta
4. Which monument stands on the land that originally belonged to the Kachhwahas of Ajmer, and was acquired in lieu of four havelis?
Akash Chatterjee, Asansol
5. Which word means amber in Greek, drawing from the fact that early experiments showed that amber when rubbed with dry cloth would attract light objects?
Arya Ghosh, Calcutta
6. Which bird has been declared 'the state bird of Delhi'?
Irani Biswas, Guwahati
7. The European Union directive E 948 regulates the use of which gas used in food?
Durjoy Sen, Calcutta
8. When Harvey Wilcox bought an area of Rancho La Brea in Los Angeles, what name did his wife give the place?
Souvik Ray, Calcutta
9. According to a survey, what do half of all British women going to salons take with them?
Dipta Mukherjee, Calcutta
POINT OF VIEW
1. Identify this socialite
2. Identify this judge
KNOW & GROW WITH DEREK
In 1939, Ernest Vincent Wright published Gadsby — a 50,000-word book without the letter 'e'. That's one novel that will never sell as an eBook! (Sorry, just couldn't resist a little 'e' humour.)
ANSWER & WIN
As per a survey, which school was judged as the 36th best school in Scotland?
For Answer and Win, send a quiz question of your own along with the answer. The prize will go to the reader with the correct answer and the best question. Send in answers with your full name and address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Winner of the Answer and Win
Quiz published on 11.08.13
Dipta Mukherjee, Calcutta
In the early 19th century, which was the first Sanskrit work chosen for English translation by the Asiatic Society?
The Answer is: Ramayana
For queries about Answer and Win, please contact 22804093
1. A Christmas Carol
2. Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
3. Tyrannosaurus Rex
4. Taj Mahal
6. House Sparrow
9. Picture of a celebrity (to emulate the look)
WHO AM I ?
Ibrahim Boubacar Keita
POINT OF VIEW 1
POINT OF VIEW 2