The Telegraph
Tuesday , June 11 , 2013
CIMA Gallary

Drizzle now, downpour later

Calcutta would have to wait another couple of days for heavy monsoon rain, the weather office predicted on Monday.

A Met official said Calcuttans would have to make do with cloudy skies and scattered rainfall for the next couple of days, 48 hours after monsoon officially reached the city.

Meteorologists were optimistic about windy conditions and a good cloud build-up over the next 36 hours as the northern limit of the monsoon has advanced to cover south Bengal.

“The southwest monsoon made further progress in the western parts of the country because of a cyclonic circulation over the Arabian Sea. In the east, the northern limit reached most parts of Chhattisgarh and south Bengal but hasn’t crossed Malda and the other northern districts,” said a senior official of the regional meteorological office at Alipore.

For downpour characteristic to the season in Calcutta, the monsoon flow needs to get stronger through formation of strong systems in the region or over the Bay of Bengal.

“The overcast sky and the scattered rainfall in the city over the past two days are not a monsoon exclusive. A trough of low pressure from Punjab to the east-central Bay of Bengal is aiding the monsoon system,” said an official of India Meteorological Department in Delhi.

The cloud cover and drizzle kept the Celsius down. The Alipore Met office recorded a maximum of 34 degrees, a drop of 2.6 from normal. The mercury came down to 27.6 degrees Celsius at 2.30pm.

“The way the sky turned dark after noon, I thought it’s going to pour heavily. The streaks of lightning and claps of thunder promised more than they delivered… a light and short drizzle. But it brought down the temperature,” said Subhomoy Bhattacharya of Ruby Park.

Suburban train services in Eastern Railway’s Howrah division got disrupted on Monday when thundershowers caused a snag in the overhead power supply line at Konnagar from 12.45pm. Railway officials said the Howrah-Bandel section remained closed until the damage was repaired at 1.52pm. Services were restored at 2.35pm. A similar fault struck the Ballyghat-Dankuni section.

Eight long-distance trains were delayed while an equal number of local trains had to be cancelled.