The Telegraph
Thursday , February 21 , 2013
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary
The City Diary

Water treatment plant on anvil

The civic authorities will set up a water treatment plant with a capacity to treat 50 million gallons of water daily in Garden Reach. Officials said L&T has been selected to execute the Rs 190-crore project. The company will be given 24 months to set up the plant. Once the plant starts functioning, large areas in Joka will come within the Calcutta Municipal Corporationís network of filtered surface water supply. Water supply to Behala, Garden Reach, Garfa, Gangulybagan, Silpara and Daspara, too, will improve.

PC Chandra founder dies

Jahar Lal Chandra, the group chairman of the PC Chandra group, passed away after a brief illness in Calcutta on Tuesday night. He was 90. Chandra was one of the founders of the PC Chandra group and steered its diversifications from jewellery business to chemical enterprises, plastic industries and others.


Police on Wednesday arrested Santosh Roy and Mohammad Niaz Khan who were wanted in a highway robbery case in Odisha a year ago. They were picked up from the Hare Street area.


Paresh Lal, 25, was arrested on Wednesday for allegedly abetting his wifeís suicide. Police said Nandini Lal, 19, had set herself ablaze at the coupleís Parnasree house a week ago and died at SSKM Hospital on Wednesday. The two got married two-and-a-half months ago.

Cop robbed

Mohammad Shahrukh, 18, Mohammad Arshad, 18, and Mohammad Sajjad, 19, were arrested for allegedly robbing a police constable near Bhabani Bhavan in Alipore on Wednesday night. ivas Roy Chowdhury, a constable of Barrackpore police, was in plain clothes and walking towards the police barracks when four youths threatened him with daggers and snatched his wallet and cell phone. Three of the four youths were caught on the spot.


Sonu Dhanuk, 21, was arrested for allegedly kidnapping a 17-year-old girl from her Ramnagar home in South 24-Parganas. The victimís father lodged a complaint with Hare Street police station on Wednesday night, based on which Sonu was arrested and the girl rescued.


Three youths were arrested for assaulting a taxi driver when he refused to ferry them on the grounds that he was already carrying a passenger. Police said Naresh Sau, the taxi driver, was on his way to Howrah station with a passenger when the youths intercepted him near Mahajati Sadan.